Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What can be done to help a cat with diarrhea??

One of our cats quite regularly has bouts of diarrhea. Normally they're squidgy at the best of times and smell so bad it's like you've been punched in the nose.

Anyone out there have any idea what might be causing this??

He eats premium cat food as does his brother and has access to dry food and water. His brother has no problems at all and the only difference I can see between their diet is that he eats next to no dry food.

He is a male Bengal, is vaccinated, wormed, and is an indoor cat.

I know it's a totally gross subject but has anyone else had similar problems or does anyone have any solutions.

Thanks (no stupid answers please)

Favorite Answer

Your cat may have food allergies or sensitivities. Improper digestion is probably taking place, hence the smell. Kind of like when we eat something that doesn't settle well with our stomachs, the repercussions are upset tummy and smelly stools. Your cat is probably not getting enough nutrition with the recurring diarrhea. Try experimenting with different foods, slowly switch, so you don't induce more trauma to the GI tract. I feed an organic cat food made by Castor and Pollux. It has dried fruits and vegetables mixed with kibble. My cats love it and pick out the dried goodies before eating the kibble. Also, you can try plain whole milk or lowfat yoghurt. That gives back good bacteria in the system and helps promote digestion.

Kaopectate works good to help calm diarrhea (I forget the dosage, ask your vet). But it is not a solution.

There is also different meat like lamb, salmon, venison, etc. in cat foods that you may want to try. Most have chicken and corn, sometimes beef. Your kitty may have a chicken or corn sensitivity. My mom's rottweiler is allergic to corn, she feeds salmon, venison and barley combination dog food.

Make a list of all the foods you know your cat has has diarrhea with. This will help figure out the common ingredient(s) to figure out the sensitivity. I suspect it might be corn. Try a lamb and rice to see if it helps. Just ideas.

Good luck! Hope your kitty feels better.

Robin

Source(s): I used to be a vet tech and have had cats all my life. I am also a biologist.

Generally speaking no, cats shouldn't drink milk. Most cats are lactose (which are sugars in milk) intolerant & drinking milk may result in an upset tummy & cause diarrhea. Nutritionally it is not necessary to give your cat milk. A bowl of water will suite your cat fine. Not all cats are lactose intolerant & a little milk as a treat is fine, however the only real way to find out if your cat is lactose intolerant is to try it on a bowl of milk & see if it causes diarrhea. If you find your cat is okay with cow's milk then the occasional bowl is fine, but this should be given as a treat ONLY. Good luck and If you have any questions just email me XD

A lot of feline and canine rescuers use canned pumpkin. That's right, pumpkin! Most recommend Libby's canned pumpkin (but NOT pumpkin pie filling-- too sweet and spicy). Dogs love it and will eat it readily. You may have to hide a little in the cat's food. It provides additional fiber. My neighbor gives her dog a tablespoon of canned pumpkin every day or two because her lhasa has a chronic problem. Probably no more than a teaspoon for a cat, I would think. Good luck.

It could be a number of things. Try getting him to eat dry food only. Dry food has more fiber in it. Also, cat's GI tracts vary just like humans. We have one cat who's 'poop' smells the worst but they all eat the exact same food. (We have four.) Other than that, he may have some expensive problem that will require a trip to the vet and lab tests.

Be prepared for the barrage of inappropriate comments from other posters.

my cat star has this problem. I have had him checked and dewormed and changed foods and he still has it although not as bad as he used too.

The best thing that's worked for him is cheap cat food. I tried the expensive stuff and didn't help at all. although it might not be as nutritious he's no longer getting dehydrated. he is not allowed ANY wet food at all and this has been the biggest help. no ppl food either. when the other cats get their wet food treats he gets hard kitty treats.

as a rule I don't give treats that often. maybe once or twice a month. wet food is not good for a cats teeth if given regularly. mostly they get hard kitty treats.

while he still has some stinky diarrhea it's not as smelly or as often.

Source(s): http://www.flickr.com/photos/8928449@N02/779949411... just wanted to add Stars photo.

I had a Persian that use to suffer from occasional bouts. My vet recommended plain yogurt with active cultures. It only takes about two tablespoons twice a day until you start to see results, then you can cut back or stop. My cat would lick it right off the spoon. It worked like a charm for me.

As long as he is an adult cat and it sounds like he is then you can give him 1/2 teaspoon of kaopectate...you cannot use any other diarrhea medication on cats so only use this..if the diarrhea persists within 3-4 hours of first dose you can give another 1/2 teaspoon

He sounds like he has an intestinal problem.My only experience with cats & diarrhea was my cat could'nt have milk.As soon as we stopped the milk,the diarrhea stopped also. Some premium cat foods have been known to cause diarrhea & renal failure & has lead to pet deaths.(I'm not trying to scare you) the PETA.org website has more info on this matter.My only suggestion to you is to take your poor moggie to the vet.Only they are qualified to diagnose your cats condition.You have a special pussycat,he needs some special care.

Sounds like the food might be upsetting him. Try him on plain white fish (microwaved or steamed) for a few days and see if this settles him down.

We had this exact problem with one of our brother

and sister kittens (The sister)

We gave them a few small bowls of acidophilus/Bifuidus

added milk. Worked wonders. We like it too...