?
? asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

How loud is too loud when knocking on a door?

The postman just knocked on my front door with the knocker.(its 9.55am here) I was well up and about but the force he used was ridiculous! It was as if he picked up the knocker with all his strength and bashed it up and down about 8 times!

I answered the door and he gave me a parcel and muttered "I couldnt get it through the letter box" and I said, "you nearly gave me a heart attack knocking the door that hard" I said it with a smile...waiting for an apology and he rolled his eyes and walked off! So I called, "You'll knock less hard next time won't you?" aand he ignored me...so I called "Was that a yes?"

And he turned and started muttering something in his defence so I just said, "Good thank you very much" and shut the door....did I do right or will all my mail get "lost" now? He wasnt our usual postman...he was a bit weird looking.....

Lol...no it wasn't a bomb fortunately!

• Dig It
    Favorite Answer

LOL. I dont know. I think I use "normal" force and if I get no response, increase the noise a little. Sometimes people don't hear you. I guess the best way to describe it is that I knock with my knuckles- I don't really ever knock with a fist, if that makes any sense.

Sounds like there really psychos in the postal service...

• DB

Mail carriers have to deal with all sorts of people and ignorance. Some play loud music, some pretend not to hear the door (knocking or bell), some ignore it when they're on the phone and still some are not home. Once you have seen and been through it all, you adapt and take the best possible way to get someones attention. That includes knocking hard. So take it easy on or postman, he puts up with a lot more than you might think.

Hence the expression, "postal!" LOL.

I've had people startle me out of my gord - usually during my much-needed Saturday nap - by knocking too hard. It pisses me off quite frankly. The postman made you pay for his inconveniently having to "walk" to your door. He did it on purpose and I'm glad you called him on it. If it didn't need to be signed for, he could've left it on your stoop. Mine does that all the time.

I love the religious people who come around during naptime every weekend to knock on my door and talk me into seeing religion their way. But my personal fave is the "mexican doorbell" which is the popular method of getting someone to the door in my neighborhood. For those who don't know what that it, it's where someone sits in front of a neighbor's house, honks the horn from 5 to 15 minutes, while talking on a cell phone, expecting the person inside the house to come out and get in the car (or deliver something to the driver...whichever the case may be :-)

Whew - what a tangent, huh?! (sorry) but I DO feel you.

He could have been having a terrible day and decided to take it out on your door, then you. Irregardless, his behavior was creepy and hostile. I think you did the right thing asserting yourself. It's your door and he was bashing it in! I really think you should make a further complaint. It is illegal for a postman or anyone to tamper with your mail.

Hope your regular postman comes back,

CR

No I don't think you were wrong,not at all!He might have just been having a bad day and got a little aggravated because he couldn't get the package through the slot...or he maybe didn't realize how loud he knocked.Good you let him know though.Since he's not your regular...maybe a sub, just keep an eye out to see if you see him again,and if he acts the same way,report him! lol about the package being a bomb.Good luck!

I usually knock with just the index finger, with proper force applied it's loud enough, but not too loud.

If after some time the knock goes unanswered, I repeat but louder (using all knuckles)

Too loud would indeed be if the door vibrates cause of you knocking

I much prefer that to when they knock once really quietly then leave, so you have to go collect your parcel from a depot miles away. I'm sure sometimes they put the card through the door saying you've missed a delivery without knocking, just because they can't be bothered.

NO, it's just right. It was his fault. Would you imagine knocking a door loud like that? And then you expect him to apologize in a nice way? but what did her do? roll his eyes and then go just like nothing and then muttering. WOW good gay, that man should be kicked if would be like that!

Well golly gee,he could have just left your parcel on the doorstep.l would say with his job he has quite a number of parcels to deliver and therefore needs to get them delivered pronto.lf he just gave a light tap on the door,you may not hear it,you could be out the backyard,in the loo anywhere.At least he let you know he was there.

• JennY!

No, I don't think you were wrong to expect an apology- he was rude and it's part of his ob to be polite. But in answer to your original question, I'd say you should knock no louder than a little louder than necessary for the person whose door you are knocking on to hear you.

Source(s): an experienced door-knocker-onner = )