Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Do you feel that depression is just a reason to get away with something?

I feel like everyone is trying to get away and be forgiven for their mistake by saying they are depressed.

It's stupid.

Favorite Answer

Hi. There is plenty of literature on the internet that supports the concept of depression. I can tell you that nobody deliberately becomes depressed, it is an awful and debilitating mental illness. Its not your fault that you feel this way, just need to educate yourself a bit more and gain an understanding.

That is because you have obviously been blessed with a life free of depression.

I have not. I was diagnosed when I was 14yrs old and I am 42 this Feb. so that pretty much makes me an authority on the subject and there is not a day that goes by that I don't have to FIGHT the urge to end this pain.

Maybe you should think about it this way, if I had cancer and I had just a few months to live and I could not work or pay my bills, HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK I WOULD BE?

You really are not kind to think the way you do. Have you ever made a mistake or wanted to be forgiven?

I think we should judge others the way we would want to be judged.

Some of the greatest minds in history suffered from depression and they did great things.

Some of the greatest minds in this world suffer from depression and they can't walk out of their front door.

This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. I would give ANYTHING to not feel this way.

So just take a step back and rethink this question and get back to me.

Source(s): Not trying to get away from anything but myself.

I am definitely not trying to get away from anything except depression.

I do not need to be forgiven for any mistakes.

I am a kind and caring person.

I want to have a reasonable life in the same way people that are not experiencing depression have.

These are your beliefs about people saying they have depression:

People are trying to get away from something.

People want to be forgiven for their mistakes.

People say they are depressed in order for these two thing to happen.

Even though you seem uninformed about depression, I hope you never have to live with it.

No, and if you ever get depressed you will never suggest this statement again. It is a black hole with no bottom or way out when you are trapped in it. You float endlessly with nothing to grab to hold onto. It is a miserable gnawing pain that nothing can stop.

depression is a real health problem often caused by chemical imbalances in the brain.

but yeah, SOME people might use the fact that they have depression as an excuse to get away with something, or make up that they have depression to get away with things.

but don't think that just b/c someone is depressed means they're trying to get away with something.

• diva42

Go tell that to someone sitting in the hospital after slitting their wrists.