How do we go about explaining the rise of religious fundamentalism in the modern world?

Favorite Answer

Good question. In my opinion it is oppression and poverty that are the fertile soil that fundamentalism flourishes on. The leaders of such movements play on the emotions, weaknesses and religious beliefs of the poor and oppressed with a promise of heaven or a better tomorrow. The only war against terrorism and fundamentalism is education and equal rights of all human beings.

People retreat from what they do not understand in fear. Religion gives them a simple answer to a complex problem as long as there are willing to accept with a closed mind. In a world with knowledge so readily available and many threatened by people using principles and ethics and implementing secular law, they cling to the rules and structure of a 2000 year old book.

I think the attraction to religion is so mutifaceted that one cannot answer easily, for eg I have noticed small or insecure men are attracted to religion far more than larger or more secure men.

Fundamentalism is not on the rise in many countries eg Australia, I am surprised if it is on the rise in the UK, the home of the enlightenment. As for the US, the fact that it has coincided with their OECD results falling in education, may give an insight.

Fear and ignorance have nowhere else to turn than blind faith.

Religious fundamentalism might serve to motivate modern people toward deeper understanding of life.

I think that in bad times people need something to give them hope or something greater to rely on to mentally tell them "I am here for you, " or "things will be OK. " I am a christian and have been one my whole life but I do find that people are more accepting to new ideas or more open to the religion when they are at a low in their life or need help or guidance.

• Jukari

People are searching for answers, unfortunately there not always found at a church.

Fear