Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do we go about explaining the rise of religious fundamentalism in the modern world?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good question. In my opinion it is oppression and poverty that are the fertile soil that fundamentalism flourishes on. The leaders of such movements play on the emotions, weaknesses and religious beliefs of the poor and oppressed with a promise of heaven or a better tomorrow. The only war against terrorism and fundamentalism is education and equal rights of all human beings.

• 1 decade ago

People retreat from what they do not understand in fear. Religion gives them a simple answer to a complex problem as long as there are willing to accept with a closed mind. In a world with knowledge so readily available and many threatened by people using principles and ethics and implementing secular law, they cling to the rules and structure of a 2000 year old book.

I think the attraction to religion is so mutifaceted that one cannot answer easily, for eg I have noticed small or insecure men are attracted to religion far more than larger or more secure men.

Fundamentalism is not on the rise in many countries eg Australia, I am surprised if it is on the rise in the UK, the home of the enlightenment. As for the US, the fact that it has coincided with their OECD results falling in education, may give an insight.

Fear and ignorance have nowhere else to turn than blind faith.

• 1 decade ago

Religious fundamentalism might serve to motivate modern people toward deeper understanding of life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think that in bad times people need something to give them hope or something greater to rely on to mentally tell them "I am here for you, " or "things will be OK. " I am a christian and have been one my whole life but I do find that people are more accepting to new ideas or more open to the religion when they are at a low in their life or need help or guidance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jukari
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

People are searching for answers, unfortunately there not always found at a church.

• 1 decade ago

Fear

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.