Kyle S
Kyle S asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Will my dogs paws get cold?

Are dog paws sensitive to coldness, like when I take my dog for a walk in the snow should her paws be covered? Also I know that salt (on sidewalks to melt ice) irritates dogs paws, should I wipe them off as soon as we get back or wait until they warm up back to regular temp, like us when our hands get cold its bad to run them under hot water since it ruins the nerves. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

A normal walk in the snow won't hurt the dog's paws.

You're right though about the snow-melt / salt. I usually wipe my dogs feet the minute we get home with perfume / dye free baby wipe, or if I'm out of those, a damp rag. I don't wait for them to "Warm up" at all, it's done the minute we get home because I don't want the snow-melt / salt in the house.

It depends on if this is a long walk or a trip to the mail box.

In the case of a walk quarter mile or longer:

It may look a little funny, but if you walk your pup often, I definatly recommend some dog boots. There are a few reasons. For one, yes their paws get cold. Not like our feet would get cold, and not enough to keep them from going outside, but it does happen. Also snow can get tangled in the hair between their toes, making it more cold for a longer amount of time. Secondly, if a dog walks on wet cement, it tears up their paws like crazy. I learned this the hard way! My poor girl never shows pain unless it's REALLY bad and I noticed her limping and randomly sitting down in the middle of the sidewalk. When I realized it was her paws and not a muscle injury, her paws were bleeding and damaged terribly and I felt so bad I carried her (65 pounds and all) half a mile home in the snow. I had to bandage her feet and she wouldn't walk. And lastly, the salt is crazt bad for their skin (imagine combining the last two).

Good luck hope this helps!

Dogs feet are sensitive. Why do you think they make boots for their paws? Just a short walk outside or a short time outside is not going to affect their paws other then making them cold. What will affect their paws is the salt on the side walk or road. This can burn their paws and create painful cracks and blisters. If they are going to be outside for long periods then you want to consider the boots. Also if they are going to be walking on salt then consider the boots. The sled dogs have to be careful because if they don't have boots on then they can have severe paw problems.

for your own stairs and sidewalk, its best to use ice melt that is safe around dogs, like SafePaw. As for the salt stuff on other places, either wipe her paws down with a warm (not hot) damp facecloth when you get home, or you could get her dog boots, like the ones from Guardian Gear, to protect her feet while out walking.

YES, wipe the salt off as soon as you get home, but only do it with a very warm washcloth.....and yes the babies paws will get cold, but dogs paws can withstand alot of cold.....as long as they are not wet for along time....dry feet well, and they will warm up on their own...just get the salt off them

Yes ther sensitive to the cold but not to the extreem we are.

They are also sensitive to heat i found this out this past summer when I took one of my dogs for a hike and she started whining alot.

I thought it was her being stubern untill we went home and later she could barly walk and the $1050. vet bill.

with the salt part its best to clean it off asap it real hard on thear paws.

Yes, dogs paws are sensitive to cold and heat. I have a page on my website all about protecting you dog and their feet during cold weather. Check it out, it might help.

http://www.standardpoodlesusa.com/cold-weather.htm...