Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

can twins survive if born at 21 weeks?

if so would they average in weight of 3-4 pounds a piece at this point.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They most likely wouldn't. It's not unheard of - but it's not common. They would probably weigh less than a pound. They won't weigh 3-4 pounds until they're 30-32 weeks, maybe even longer.

Source(s): I work in a childrens hospital with a new born intensive care unit
  • 1 decade ago

Unfortunately, it's not likely that they would survive if they were born that early. Because twins are smaller at birth than a single baby, they would be too small and just wouldn't be developed enough. My 7 year old and 5 month old sons were both born at 31 weeks and they were 4 pounds, 3 ounces and 4 pounds, 7 ounces when they were born. A 21 week baby would probably be a pound or so.

• 1 decade ago

I don't believe so. I had a friend whose water broke at week 20. She could have tried to save the baby (even went on bed rest for a week), but the risks were too high for both herself and the baby. Not only were there high risks, but they baby would have had development problems since it had no more room to move. After speaking with doctors, she ended up making the difficult choice to deliver knowing the baby would not survive.

• 1 decade ago

I'm 22w4d with just one baby and she just weighs around a pound.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.