Do we as Americans really have to pay Taxes?

I'm currently writing a paper on the IRS and the Federal Income Tax. I've heard many arguments saying that the 16th amendment to the constitiution allows for "...the taxation of profits and gains...and no other taxes may be enstated." The 16th also states that taxes can only be impossed on income;... show more I'm currently writing a paper on the IRS and the Federal Income Tax. I've heard many arguments saying that the 16th amendment to the constitiution allows for "...the taxation of profits and gains...and no other taxes may be enstated." The 16th also states that taxes can only be impossed on income; our jobs are considered labor wages which is an even trade for our time worked. Also there is something in the constitution about any tax put onto the people must be uniform across the entire population; therefor it doesn't make sense that rich people don't pay the same percent as we middle class people do right? Many court cases have been thrown out due to "lack-of-law" reguarding the IRS's inability to show any law or statute stating we have to pay income tax. So what's the deal?!? Do we just pay cause we think we have to or is there really weight to all these arguments I've heard???
Update: As I understand it most "State Laws" require you to pay Income Tax yet in order for these laws to hold any weight they must comply with the constitution which they don't. Also there ARE many cases where the defendant was found NOT GUILTY by a jury, for... show more As I understand it most "State Laws" require you to pay Income Tax yet in order for these laws to hold any weight they must comply with the constitution which they don't. Also there ARE many cases where the defendant was found NOT GUILTY by a jury, for example:
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTI...
another example
IRS vs Whitney Harrell
Jury found him NOT GUILTY on all charges
Update 2: Also your definition of Income in your link does not list labor as one of its taxable incomes. This is because labor is not a profit from business transactions as all the others listed are. Labor is a trade for time spent working, I work 10 hours you pay me for ten hours. There is no defined income in that equation... show more Also your definition of Income in your link does not list labor as one of its taxable incomes. This is because labor is not a profit from business transactions as all the others listed are. Labor is a trade for time spent working, I work 10 hours you pay me for ten hours. There is no defined income in that equation as you have spent your time obtaining the money, not making profit.
Update 3: Adam i appreciate your insight on this subject...I voted your little thumb thing up.