promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do feminists persist in believing that their ideology is about 'equality'?

Why do feminists (using the term loosely) persist in their mistaken belief that their ideology is about 'equality' when all the evidence points to the contrary?

That evidence is all around us. It seems to me that there are three kinds of lies; Lies, Damned Lies, and Feministic Lies.

I'm an equalist because I believe that men and women are born different but equal, are of equal worth, and are deserving of fair treatment under just laws. Equalism will eventually consign feminism into the garbage bins of history where it belongs.

Equalism is not just about equality, it is also the search for truth. Equalism believes that if an injustice is done you should fight against injustice regardless of sex, colour or age. Unlike feminism, which is gender-based, gender-biased, and parochial, equalism takes a much wider and sensible view of relationships between people

Update:

[supplementary] Some good answers here, thank you everyone. Okay, but tell me, someone, why should some people in effect be 'more equal' than others? Doesn't seem to make sense, surely equal is equal is equal?

Update 2:

[Object] Strangely enough, I am not out of sympathy with your situation which seems very similar to my own except that, being disabled, my rent gets paid for by the local council.

Update 3:

[Object] Hmmm. Things are going that way here. One of the very first things that Blair said when he achieved power some 10 years ago was that we should "embrace capitalism"!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Why do feminists persist in believing that their ideology is about 'equality'?

Very simple and can best be described by one who used it to nearly take over the world:

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it” ~ Adolph Hitler

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Because for most feminists, the ultimate goal is equality. The idea of feminism is to fight for women to have equal rights...because most of us feel that women are not yet equal in the eyes of the law, society, people, ect.

You seem to believe that feminists believe that they are the only ones worthy of help, that we are blind to the injustices that occur to other people. We're not unaware of the issues that face people every day, but humans only have a finite time on this earth. We have to focus on those battles most important to us. It is wonderful that you have the ability to spread your energies around, not everyone can do that.

People choose every single day what is most important to them...feminists are only doing the same thing.

Source(s): Choices are easy to make, even the most difficult of choices is made in the span of a heartbeat. It is coming to terms with the results of these choices which can take a very long time, indeed.
  • 1 decade ago

I persist in believing that feminism is about equality because it IS about equality.

99% of feminists believe in equality. the few nut-jobs are not "all the evidence" they are nut-jobs.

Every good idea has it's few freaks that don't get it. That doesn't make the idea wrong, just the freaks.

Although there's some variation between MANY (but not all) members of the sexes, it's simply not true that all men are alike and all women are alike.

But all of both sexes are human beings, entitled to being treated as such.

What's your problem with that?

• 1 decade ago

I am not a feminist but i feel like a group of feminists is loosely similar to the black panthers. They are a group of women (mostly) that have the same interest in women's equality in particular. Women are a minority in society and aren't normally seen as equal because they aren't as strong as men, or they are more in touch with feelings and emotions. While all of this is natural for women it is seen as a weakness and these women are trying to give all women the opportunity to feel that they are as equal to any man as another man would be. Without feminists, many women's views would be unseen or untold because it isn't seen as a just law.

....just my opinion on the matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In the early 1920s Unions like IWW stood for equality for everyone. You know what happen to them? They got nothing done and lost all its members. While Unions like AFL who specifically represent certain groups and asked for specific changes made a lot of ground.

Its a sad state of affairs, but that is how the system works.

Change the system so equalism works, before you take your moral highground.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with you that it should not be gender based, but equality over all? no. I mean everyone should be equal, but some more equal than the rest.

the person that desirves to be the most equal should be the person bringing home the money for the family, which in most cases is the man. the person going out and hunting the wooly mamoths, which in most cases would be the man, but in some rare arre rare rare rare cases could be the woman.

• 1 decade ago

Feminism IS about equality. Very few feminists will say that they want special advantages for women. (That's actually what anti-feminists have been fighting for over the years.) But difference between feminism and equalism is that feminists focus primarily on inequalities suffered by women. Eventually, all doctrines for gender, racial, or religious equality will be absorbed into one movement.

• 1 decade ago

The person who claims the label is the only one who can define it. Your "evidence", which you don't state but I suspect is lacking when used to define my beliefs, would not be sufficient to label an entire group. Why do some people continue to think they know what a feminist and/or feminism is and how it defines each person?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Feminist lied and said that they are about "equality" so they can brain-wash people into joining them.

• 1 decade ago

You do realize that it is strictly the purview of feminists to define feminism, right? That's the way these things work. You get to define you equalism and since you're the only one, that's enough. Feminists discuss amongst themselves and then inform others what their basic positions are. Too bad if you don't like it. Life's tough like that sometimes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.