Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Green Card through marriage?

So me and my best friend want to get married. She is a citizen of the U.S. and I'm a citizen of Canada. My question is seeing how we are so young ,she18 and me 19 will it be a problem for us to sponsor each other to gain citizenship for each country vice versa? I know certain poverty lines have to be met,so how would this work? Will immigration give us a problem?

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    As long as you are willing to get married and live in the US with her, and mix all your finances with hers for 3 years as a green card holder, with no major absences from the United States, you can apply for citizenship. It'll take about a year, so you'll have 4 years invested here before you get it.

    If you get caught in a fake marriage you'll be deported and she'll get a heavy fine and prison time.

    After you get your US citizenship you can deal with Canadian immigration trying to get her there.

  • 1 decade ago

    I've went though the process with my wife from the U.K.. And heres one thing you have to remember, or else you'll be back to the drawing board. IF, you and her enter the United States and start the process, You'll get a green card; but, if you weren't married for more than 2 years when you applied; you'll have to prove your still married and that the marriage isn't a "Sham", starting the 90 days before the 1st 2 years are up. Then, you'll get a green card that's good for 10 years; and you can then start the N-400 process that will make you a citizen. When that's done you'll be a "Dual Citizen" like I am of the U.K.. and my wife is of the U.S.

    PS: Be prepared to kick down the duckets though....It' ain't cheap. And the prices of those forms and processes just went up this july again..

    (They don't charge you for the actual forms; just what they do with them, by the way..if I was being vague there)

  • 1 decade ago

    I don't think she will be able to show 3 years of income yet to sponsor you to be with her in the USA if you married but she is allowed to get a friend or family member to co-sponsor you. You would have to stay with her in the USA for over 3 years to be able to get US citizenship. Once you have that you can look at moving back to Canada with your wife and going through the whole process again there.

    You can't just move to America to marry her though, she would have to apply for a fiance visa for you then after marriage you can apply to Adjust Staus and stay with her if she can meet the support obligations. Immigration will give you both a huge problem if you try to get around the legal way of doing it.

  • 1 decade ago

    in the US last year that poverty line was close to $ 17 000 for our area (it depends on where you will live) and you have to show your income for the last 3 years.

    you wont be able to get citizenship that fast. you get permanent residency first thats conditional for the first 2 years and then you apply for the removal of the condition and then you have to live here for some years before you can apply for the actual citizenship.

    decide what you want to do and get info from the official web sites.

    and don't get married just so you can have the permanent residency/green card. they question you and might find out!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.