Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What's more important in a college?

I'm applying to colleges, and I'm torn between Harvard and UChicago. I love both (I went to Harvard Summer School), but they're very different from each other - Harvard has the name and prestige, and UChicago has a very close and welcoming community; both have the academic rigor I'm looking for.

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are - is it more important to have the name for when you graduate, or the experience while you're there with a lesser known college?

• neniaf
    Favorite Answer

Among those who matter, the University of Chicago is in no way lesser-known. The only people who would think more of Harvard are those lacking education themselves, and they won't be in a position to help you. Academics, or those who hire well-educated graduates, would be equally impressed with both. I think you would do equally well with either, and I wish you luck.

I don't get how you can think UChicago is lesser of a school?! If you can possibly be lucky enough to get accepted into either you should be weighing out which school you enjoy being around and could see yourself spending the next four years of your life. You want to be in a place that you enjoy because it will help you keep your grades up. If anyone tells you UChicago is not well-known slap em in the face.

UChicago is also very prestigious. You should go for the one where you think you'll be happiest--in this case, it's UChicago. So go there, if that's where you want to be, because it IS also a very prestigious school.

Go to the one you want to go to, but you probably have a better chance of getting accepted to Chicago. I don't know you, but I know for that it's extremely hard for anyone to be accepted into Harvard, and if you go to Chicago - a lot cheaper.

• eri

Personally, I think your decision will be made for you in April. You should apply to more than 2 colleges anyway.