Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Me
Lv 6
Me asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

When will the Big 10 have a conference title game like REAL conferences do?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They can't. The NCAA requires 12 teams to be in a conference in order to have a Conference Championship. The Big Ten only has eleven members, one short of the requirement. Many would say that the Big Ten should add Notre Dame to the conference. That would not be possible as Notre Dame is a member of the Big East in all sports except for football, hockey, lacrosse & fencing.

• 1 decade ago

When Notre Dame joins. Problem is Notre Dame never will. At least not until a playoff system is put into place. They have no reason to. The current BCS, allots a slot to Notre Dame being given an automatic berth for making the top 8 and a chance as long as they are in the top 14. Considering their national draw and constant overrating by the media and therefore other polls, they will make the BCS with mediocre teams more often than any team from a non-big6 conference.

If a playoff is implemented and the chance they have to get selected for a big money bowl is eliminated, they will join the big 10 simply because it increases their chances of making those big money bowls. For now though they have no reason whatsoever to join. They get the entire purse from any bowl they attend with no split for a conference. If i was them I wouldnt join a conference til i was forced to either.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NCAA rules state that a conference must have a minimum of 12 teams in order to have a conference title game. The Big 10 currently has 11 teams.

I am of thee opinion that the Big 10 does not want to add another team because they do not want a title game. With only 11 teams, they can answer questions such as this by saying that NCAA rules don't allow it.

Big 10 fans will defend the decision to not add a 12th team by saying that they are waiting for Notre Dame to join their conference. That will never happen. Notre Dame has a TV contract all to themself. If they join a conference, they will have to share that revenue with other teams. Notre Dame has no incentive to join a conference.

• 1 decade ago

I think the Big 10 (now really 11) needs one more team to join it...

then come up with a new league name, divide it into an east/west or a north/south

~ then add a bye week for all the teams, and then have a north/south or east/west playoff for a league championship game.

This would solve the problem of a month plus off until the bowls too...

The problem is, the Big 10 is steeped in tradition, and the "final traditional games" mess this whole thing up... eg.. Michigan and Ohio State always playing the last game of the season the Saturday before Thanksgiving...

Drop that nonsense and build to a playoff and Big 10 Championship game. Let's start a new tradition, and model it somewhat like the Big 12...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.