Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Marineland Eclipse System Six good tank or no?

i am getting a new tank for xmas but i have to fimd the one that i really want and would be good for my fish. i dont know if this has a heater or not but it sounds pretty good to me. if it is a 6 gallon tank does it even need a heater. i went to petco online and found this. please go there and tell me should i get it or not.?

Favorite Answer

It really depends on the fish you want. If you don't have a lot of room and only want a few very small fish or shrimp these tanks are great. The light does a pretty good job of keeping the water warm during the day (usually high 70s) but I would put a small submersible heater in there for when the temperature drops overnight.

Unless you try to overstock the tank the filter works just fine. On occasion you have to take the filter apart and clean out the mechanism. It's very easy.

As for keeping the water levels stable, I've found these tanks do best if they're heavily planted. In my opinion, planting the tank is the best part.

The biggest downfall of this tank is that it's made of acrylic, not glass. It's very light and strong but scratches easily. If you're careful this should not be a problem.

I have 2 Eclipse systems and I don't use them because I hated them. The filtration is ok at best though they overheat when the light is on and the pump system isn't very good. If you want a small inexpensive aquarium just get a 10 gallon with a hood and a sponge filter. Your money would be better spend starting with a 29 gallon aquarium with a glass hood and light and add a large sponge filter. As your money and interest in the hobby grows you can move on from there though a 29 is the best starter aquarium and this is the size I've always recommended for beginners.

Is a person in a t-shirt and shorts warmer in a 50 degree farenheight home that is 1,000 square feet or a 50 degree farenheight home that is 4,000 square feet? Needing a heater doesn't have anything to do with the size of the aquarium it has to do with what temperature the fish are supposed to be kept at. Decide what fish you are interested in having and the odds are you will have to buy a heater to keep them alive. Some fish that don't need a heater are goldfish, White Clouds, Paradise fish, Native fish from your area (If you are in North America check out NANFA Native North American Fish Association and you'll notice some beautiful fish we're blessed with in North America, there some barbs that are cold water fish as well. Some of the Geophagus from Uraguay are cold water and I'm sure there are others though most of these are not available through your local pet shop.

I hope you enjoy the hobby though a small aquarium is much harder to take care of than a larger aquarium and people have far more success with a larger tank because it has more room for error and beginner mistakes that everyone makes.

It would be an acceptable tank for very few fish of small size. Unless you're doing a coolwater tank (I would not suggest this as there are not many coolwater fishes to choose from) then you'll want to add a heater to the kit.

Guppies, danios, small tetras, and even shrimp would be good tank inhabitants. You can do low light plants as well.

As long as you know the restictions associated with a small tank, you can be very successful with this kit.

GL!

it is a good system...but is it worththe money.... is up to u.

Personally i dont understand why pay for a 6 gallon for 50-70 dollars. when u can set up a 10 gallon for half the cost.

But i guess for people who have limited room, and looking for a small tnak, it is ok. Actually im not a fan of the filteration, it isnt enough for this tank when u have alot of fish. and that brings up another point, you cant stock this tank with alot.

So for a betta with a few small fish or inverts, it is really good... but most people wantto make it into a community tank, but it isnt really capable of handling this bio load.

I got mines for free as a gift, so i cant really complain, but is it worth the price... it is up to you.