Waht does tapioca pudding have in it?

I bought some tapioca pudding when I meant to buy vanilla whats the difference? it tastes the same but has bits of what tastes like bannana in it!

Best Answer

Tapioca is essentially a flavourless starchy ingredient, or fecula, produced from treated and dried cassava (manioc) root[1] and used in cooking. It is similar to sago and is commonly used to make a milky pudding similar to rice pudding.

Tapioca pudding is a common pudding with tapioca pearls added to a vanilla pudding. It can be discerned from other types of pudding by the small, translucent and almost caviar-like orbs of tapioca within. Tapioca is a starch derived from the root of the cassava plant, also known as manioc. The root requires processing to withdraw tapioca in the form of flakes, seeds or pearls. Cassava is native to South and Central America. It is now produced in Africa and Asia.

What exactly is tapioca?

Tapioca is basically a root starch derived from the cassava, or yuca plant. It's often used to thicken soups and sweeten the flavor of baked goods, and it makes a dandy pudding.

The cassava plant is native to South America and the West Indies, where its thick, fibrous roots are used in a variety of forms: bread flour, laundry starch, an alcoholic brew, and of course, tapioca pudding. As the Encyclopedia Britannica tells us, it was probably first harvested by the Mayans.

Budi Acid Jaya, a tapioca starch producer in Indonesia, uses processed cassava roots to make raw materials for crackers, toothpaste, paper, and textiles. Visit the site for an overview of the starch production process. It involves lots of heat and water.

It is suggested you don't try making your own tapioca at home. Cassava roots have traces of cyanide in them! The ever-resourceful Mayans figured out how to extract this poison for their blow darts, leaving the uncontaminated roots free for eating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Fashion Pearl Tapioca Pudding

1/2 Cup Tapioca Pearls

1 1/2 Cups Milk

1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream

1 Fresh Vanilla Bean

1/2 Cup Sugar

1 pinch Salt

2 Egg Yolks

Soak the pearls in water overnight, covered well with water. Drain the water off.

Heat the milk, cream, vanilla bean (split and scraped), and tapioca to a slow simmer in a heavy pot and cook for 1 hour, stirring often.

Add the sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer being careful not to let the tapioca stick to the bottom of the pan.

Put the yolks into a bowl and stir in some of the tapioca mixture to equalize the temperature. Add to the pan while stirring. Pour into a bowl and cool.

Makes 6 portions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilla Tapioca Pudding

3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca

1/3 cup sugar (divided use)

2 cups milk

3 eggs, separated

1 tablespoon vanilla

Mix tapioca, half of the sugar, milk, and the egg yolks in a saucepan.

Let stand 5 minutes, then cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat. It will thicken as it cools.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Adding remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time; continue to beat until stiff but not dry.

Fold meringue into the cooled tapioca. Add vanilla and stir until blended.

Whats In Tapioca Pudding

Yes, Tapioca coconut pudding is nice in India:}*

1/2 cup small pearl tapioca (it comes in a box)

3 cups whole milk (or skim milk with cream added)

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Source(s): www.elise.com/recipes

Tapioca pudding is essentially vanilla pudding with tapioca in it--tapioca is a root product from (I believe) the cassava plant. It comes dried in several styles: instant, small, pearl, large pearl (also known as "fish eye"), etc. You make tapioca pudding with milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla along with the tapioca. You can also use tapioca to help congeal fruit pies; I always use it in my Strawberry-Rhubarb and my Blueberry pies. And, I love tapioca pudding!

Enjoy!

Pudding

Umm... Tapioca, maybe???? Anyways, your question reminded me of my childhood memories when I was a cute kid with this happy-go-lucky attitude until I watched this cartoon and it made enourmous (and awful) side effects on me. It was something like this: There was a kid, he went out with a bunch of buddies and their neighbour who hated them in order to buy tapioca pudding for the neighbour's wife, they met scary tapioca-makers, they were ruling the city and had turned everyone except them into tapioca monsters and started running. The tapioca monsters were behind them, sticking to their feet, knocking them outta balance. Than all was gone, when the kid thought he survived everybody melted into tapioca and the neighbour was drowning in tapioca, than the neighbour woke up, it was just a dream, but he could smell tapioca again and panicked coz his wife had cooked tapioca pudding and the kid and his friends were there too and he let out this horrible scream. Ever since I watched this cartoon, I've never been the same kid again. I'm not even a kid anymore!!! (Well, I'm still cute, but I've never gained that cheerful smile of mine back, sadly :((( ) Boo- hoo!

Source(s): TAPIOCA RULES!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!:.. (Important Note For Those Who Didn't Understand: this was an EVIL laugh, NOT a normal laugh!!!)

It has tapioca in it. Not banana. Tapioca is essentially a flavourless starchy ingredient produced from treated and dried cassava root.

Those bits are most probably tapioca!

Tapioca. The "bits" you taste are probably tapioca beads that haven't dissolved.