Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Questions about buying a new computer?

I am trying to decide about buying a new laptop from Dell... (Yes know some of y'all don't like Dell but I have used them for the last 8 years now and the only thing I can complain about is not being able to understand the customer support)..

That being said...I have always owned desktops, now I want a laptop...I just want one primarily for taking on vacation (when we go on one), watching movies, e-mailing, and normal everyday stuff..all photos will be on my desktop

I had posted a question about the Dell Inspiron 1520, the XPS 1530, or the Vostro 1500 (all Dell products)..Which is better for the money you pay out?...I have thought alot about this because laptops are very expensive and I want to get one I will be happy with. My oldest son may play a game or two on it but other than that, I don't game!! Have no patience for it...

Also, I am wondering what video card I need? I was told not to get a integrated video card, don't know why

What size memory?

Processor size?

Favorite Answer

Given that you want it to do "everyday" stuff, you don't need a terribly fast laptop. So find one that fits your budget and your pretty much set. Also find one that your comfortable with (i.e. monitor size etc.). I wouldn't go with any laptop with less than 1Gb, preferably you should get one with 2Gb. Extra RAM is nice because it lowers the amount of times your computer hits the hard drive for virtual memory - and thus prolongs your battery life. Integrated video cards are fine if you don't plan to do any gaming. If you intend to do some gaming then you should get perhaps a 8000 go series. 8400M is for more budget, the 8600 is faster - which one you want depends on the type of games you play (and budget). Processors I would recommend pretty much any Core 2 Duo, you won't likely find a huge difference in performance between the mid-range and high-end.

What you get is entirely up to you, the specs are fairly high for the 3 you are looking at. Just go for budget, mobility requirements and probably a "real" feel on what the laptop are like (in-store requests). All of them should satisfy your needs imo.

The wireless router should work. It just depends who the manufacturer is. On your mp3 player check with creative zen to see if their software works because right no there are alot of companies the are rushing to update software the will work with their products and vista. That is the biggest downside to it in a way vista sucks

now do you want to save money or waste money cause for what it sounds like you need i would'nt even bother buying a new dell check out http://www.usa-refurbished-laptops.com/index.php

you can get many kinds of labtops for many things really cheap