Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

if i move to another State, I have two cat's. I will drive my car. How do I let the cat's out at the rest

areas to go to the bathroom without the cat's running away?

Favorite Answer

I drove from Minnesota to Oregon with two cats. It took a few days! We had a litter box in the car that we scooped out every time we stopped. We didn't let them out at rest stops, they would freak out too much from the traffic noise. We did let them wander around a bit when we were at quiet places like campsites and despite everyone's worries that they would run away they totally understood that the car was the safe place (not true for loud places like rest areas though, even when on a leash they would totally freak out). I hear most campsite have leash rules though, so if you're taking a multi-day trip you may want to figure out where you're staying beforehand. A lot of motels do allow pets, check beforehand!

Also I recommend having water available at all times if possible! It can get hot in the car (although maybe not at this time of year) and water will help prevent the cats getting sick. I recommend using a big tupperware container, 1/4 - 1/3 full and duct taped to the floor to prevent spillage.

When i moved From Alaska to Georgia I drove with my cats in the car. I didn't let them out at rest stops (they freak out on a leash). Instead, I put a small litter box in a crate in the back of the car. I used scoopable litter so I could clean it as soon as they used it. I let my cats wander around the car and use it as necessary. One of my cats got carsick so I had to get tranquilizers from the vet for her:) Good luck moving your cats!

• CF_

cats can be kept in their kennels for up to 12 hours without needing a bathroom break...

before the trip - remove all food 12 hours before you go... remove water 6 hours before you go...

DO NOT feed or water them in the car...

how long is the drive?? if its over night someplace make sure you get a hotel that is pet friendly - they can be fed that night (again remove the food long time BEFORE you start up next day) and give them litter access at this time...

I have moved with my 2 cats.. this is the ONLY safe way you can do it.. For me I took an extra day driving and spent 2 nights in hotel half way to give them a break...

Make sure the cats are in KENNELS - otherwise they can jump out when you get gas - and they will RUN - cats get easily frighted...

First of all, consider how long the trip will be. Ask your vet for cat tranquillizers, this will herlp them stay calm during the trip. If you don't want to do this, then make sure they have harnesses and leashes. Most cats don't like leashes, so you have to give them time to get used to the harnesses and leashes.

• prince

I agree with (give Blood)

keep a cat box in the car and they were never let out

I kept a cat box in the car and they were never let out.

• Darby

You could try to get them use to harness and then put them on a leash. I really think you have to carry their litter pan with you inside the car.

Get a leash and harness for them .