How do I keep my dog out of the trash?

I have a 2 year old black lab/doberman mix who is really sweet and really well-behaved. The ONLY thing I cannot break him of is going into the kitchen and getting into the trash. Any ideas on how I can do this? I've tried just telling him "no", but as soon as my back is turned he's trying to... show more I have a 2 year old black lab/doberman mix who is really sweet and really well-behaved. The ONLY thing I cannot break him of is going into the kitchen and getting into the trash. Any ideas on how I can do this? I've tried just telling him "no", but as soon as my back is turned he's trying to get in there.

I have no idea what else to do. He listens to no for everything else, but the lure of the trash is too much for him.
Update: We tried the pepper/hot sauce trick... apparently I have the only dog who thinks tabasco is the best condiment ever. Hot things are no deterrent for him.
Update 2: Also, I live in South Korea so there's no Petco or Petsmart... there aren't that many pet stores in general so it's hard to find the sprays or even a dog proof trashcan.