Lucy
Lv 6
Lucy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog Adoption Fees?

I live in Oklahoma City, and We have around 8 shelters here in the city, and more spread out in Oklahoma. All of the adoption fees are $65, and that includes vet check, shots, spay/neuter, de-worming, 30 days free of health insurance, heartworm test, flea and tick treatment, microchipping, and anything extra that they need before a good trip to a loving home.

But, then I see other adoption centers/shelters/rescues with adoption costs up to $300 for a dog and $115 for a cat! They get the same treatment before a good home as our shelters do. There are 2 in my state, but most of them are other states.

Why is this?

Update:

Bob - Good for you for volunteering in a rescue! :) I'd love to start one someday. I've seen both. Some rescues are pretty expensive, and some shelters are the same price as well. :-P

Iggy - I was doing research and I was just surprised at the prices. I don't want to change shelters, I love my shelter to death! :) I just didn't understand why our shelters are so much more inexpensive.

Update 2:

Everyone is giving such great answers! :) I understand now. I think I'm going to commit myself more to rescues from now on.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Shanna
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I have worked with state funded shelters and privately run rescues. They seem to be the same on the outside, but they are vastly different.

First off, shelters are usually state funded, so they are able to do the same services as rescues but charge the adopter a lot less. Rescues are funded solely on adoption fees as well as private donations. But on the flip side, the dogs in a shelter are kept in a shelter environment. The dogs receive almost no extra socializing, training, etc. In a rescue, dogs are usually kept in a foster home, where they are further evaluated, trained, socialized, etc.

Basically in a shelter, the dogs are adopted out in the same condition they were surrendered in. It is hard to fully evaluate a dog in a shelter so you may get what you've been promised, you may not, whereas a rescue has the dogs in a home setting where its behavior can be monitored and watched to the extent that they are able to tell you exactly what you are getting. They usually come to you better adjusted, better evaluated, better socialized so to speak. Not to bag on shelters because they have wonderful dogs and do a wonderful service, but rescues are able to take it one step further and do what shelters cannot. But because rescues do not recieve state funding, they do have to charge more.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some shelters are not-for-profit - relying only on donations - while others are city or county operated and receive funds to help them operate. If you're talking about shelters within the same area then this could be the reason why one charges more than the other. If they're in different areas then the costs incurred to take care of the pets could greatly differ.

The cat shelter I volunteer with a not-for-profit and we charge $100 for a cat or kitten that's spayed or neutered, tested for various diseases, up to date on shots and microchipped. We also provide a coupon for a free first vet visit. Fact is, though, the cost to us for having all this done costs us about $300-$400 per animal. But we make the money up with year long fundraising events, private donations, etc.

So in answer to your question I don't think asking $300 for a pet is unreasonable considering that's what's been spent on them. If someone were to get a "free" pet they'd spend that money plus probably much more due to health issues that the person who had the animal didn't screen while the shelter would have and taken care of whatever was wrong before the animal was adopted out - or not adopted it out at all if it was something terminal.

Incidentally, our shelter charges $100 whether a cat is an apparent purebred or not. We've had Persians, Scottish Folds, Exotic Shorthairs, etc. I adopted a black and white Persian from the Seattle Animal Shelter and was told "he was on special" when I looked at him for "only $20". I don't think he was really on special but when they read that I had recently lost my 19 year old cat and had worked the past two decades with shelters they just REALLY wanted him to go home with me!

• 1 decade ago

It depends on a few things. If it's a state run shelter that gets aide or a rescue that relies on nothing but donations/adoption money to stay going. If they have benefactors or make a decent amount of money with fund-raisers is another factor. If they have a vet on site or not can make a difference sometimes as well. Also where in the country the shelter is seems to make a difference, a shelter in the backwoods somewhere is going to usually charge less than one in a very large city.

Source(s): Used to work in a shelter, still help out, and do transports/fostering.
  • 1 decade ago

I understand what you are asking. Yes we know that the shelters have to pay for utilities and rent and the vets but---why does one place charge sooo muchh more than the one around the corner? I have often wondered about this myself. There is a big price range on the rescue places. Also most of the staff is volunteers. So why the big difference from one place to the other?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This because most shelters have no money to feed or cost for vets. This money goes for vetting the dogs, surgery,shots & neuter.spayed. I do feel it is a little much.

I have my own rescue called Angel Paw Rescue in Birmingham, Alabama. I charge only what it cost to vet the babies before I adopt them out. I still have the same rules that regular shelters/rescues have...I try to place my babies with older people who will have someone to love & have a purpose to have care for someone else.

I call my babies Care Angels because they love unconditionaly.

Source(s): petfinders.com
  • BeX
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

While I'm not familiar with Oklahoma city - adoption fees are usually influenced by other means of funding. If they have a reliable funder, they're able to keep adoption fees down. The cost of running a shelter and caring for the animals is VERY high.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, we got ripped off on our puppy we adopted in May. The shelter we went to all the time but never head what we were looking for was about 150 dollars for a puppy, but we paid $250 for him! And he is skittish, a wimp and very rude... and is terrified of my dad..

Maybe it's the vet, and health issues. Maybe the animals there had more problems? But vets charge different rates, as we found from moving to the country from the city, so the shelter could have paid a higher-priced vet. Other than that, I don't know why they have different prices besides just plainly needing or taking more money. As we've experienced, not all animals are worth the price or what they seem at the shelter. $65 is cheap compared to here in CA, and the purebreds at the stores go up to the thousands (poor animals!). We pay about that price to bathe and shave our Malamute/shepherd dog.

• I have noticed. At the animal care services here (basically the dog pound ) they charge for 38-63 dollars for ALL animals, and other rescues and shelters charge more if the dogs are purebred. the most i have seen is $350 for a dog and 150 for a cat.

They charge more if they are purebred i would say because they would think of them as more edesirable than mixed breed dogs.

but that is just my opinion.

• Glee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Those are completely reasonable costs for a pet with full vetting. Breed has nothing to do with it. Shelters and rescues are usually donor funded. I've been involved in animal rescue. It is expensive. no one is making a profit from adoption fees, I promise. Transportation, housing and food alone can be very costly.

• bob ©
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

are they private rescue groups? as opposed to a large animal shelter.

our rescue group for example does have a hefty adoption fee. but when we rescue dogs they are tested for heartworms, brucellosis, tick diseases, distemper titers, parvo titers, are spayed, neutered, microchipped, fully vaccinated, dewormed, and they receive dentals.

we are also a non profit rescue and do not receive any state or federal funding.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.