Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What happens to the body with a lack of sleep?? Only 4 hours sleep a day??

Favorite Answer

Confusion, exhaustion, depression, overeating, and in my case, ridiculous acne.

Source(s): My years at uni

I noticed that last year when I was surviving on 2-3 hours sleep a night that I got sick a LOT more than I usually do. I'm actually sick right now and I think I've been averaging around 4 or 5 hours a night max. On a scale of 1-5 I feel like a 2.5 or so.

You need sleep time so the body can repair the damage done in the day. You will suffer from all kinds of symptoms through sleep deprivation. If you are not sleeping there is a reason and you should see your doctor straight away. Lack of sleep is very dangerous to our bodies and can even cause hallucinations.

Depends on the person - but it is conceivable for a human being to go without sleep for two weeks. Although you will probably start to hallucinate at that point.

When I was in the army we were told that we needed at least 4 hours continuous sleep in order to function properly. We never got more than 6 hours because we had to take shifts on watch. I still managed to do a full day's activities on 4 hours sleep a day, albeit with slower reactions times - but i could still run, shoot and shout out orders.

If you are suffering from insomnia or sleep deprivation the first symptom is usually slurred speech, reduced reaction times and a lack of creative thinking. Severe sleep deprivation (greater than 24 hours) can result in hallucinations, mood swings and a weakened immune system (although it should recover in time) . Prolonged lack of sleep - less than 4 hours per day may result in weight gain, reduced mental agility, sickness and possibly death.

Interestingly our memory actually improves when we are deprived of sleep! Although we are unable to learn anything new without getting at least 8 hours sleep - 8 hours being the minimum amount of time before the brain goes through a complete sleep cycle.

It should also be noted that after a prolonged period without sleep the brain will begin to shut itself down and go into a state called "microsleep" - your eyes are open and you appear awake but the brain goes in to sleep activity. But this is different from actual sleep since you do not enter full REM sleep, its only the early stages of sleep which shuts down certain parts of your brain.

Source(s): Various white papers, my own knowledge.
  • Pepper

I average 3 or 4 hours a night for about 4 or 5 days.After about 5 days I get to the point where I fall asleep whether I'm ready or not.

I'm the type that just can't fall asleep easy.Raising grandbabies does'nt allow me to just take naps whenever I want.

All I can do is wait for the Sleep I do need & hope I make it thru the day.

I got 2 hours the other day, 4 the day before that, and I'm fine. I was able to get 6-8 hours the next few nights, and I feel more tired now than when I had hardly any sleep. Who really knows?

• Wolfy

It's now known that no matter what your age, you need at least 6-8 hours of good REM sleep. Any less, and you will experience generalized stress, anxiety, and reduced response time. It definitely will shorten your life by upsetting your melatonin metabolism.

I would like you to see your doc and ask him/her for a sedating antidepressant. That should get you some good sleep. Please avoid alcohol and sleeping pills as they ruin REM sleep and can worsen depression. Good herbs are valerian and passionflower. If you are experiencing life situations that you can't overcome, perhaps a few sessions with a mental-health counselor would be beneficial.

Also, NAMI has helpful meetings if you are experiencing mental-health issues.

i average 2 hours a day and thats a good nights sleep for me but a coupla times a year i will sleep straight through 48 hours and i feel like c**p afterwards

you won't have any energy to carry out day to day activities and you'll begin to shut down and snap at the ones you love. it will affect you mentally and physically

whatever is stopping you from getting sleep take a break from it all before you put your body in danger

Good Luck

Emily

xxxx

I only have 4 hours sleep a night and I have no problems in erm .. in erm you you know erm concentrating on that erm

any way don't be a stranger

best wishes

love dagissimo xxx

Everyone is different, Thatcher ran the country and only slept 4 Hours a day.