Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

What side of the tree does the moss grow on?

... I know when you are in the woods and lost you can look at the side of the tree that has the moss on it and tell north from south.

... Which side of the tree does the moss grow on?

• JD
    Favorite Answer

In the Northern hemisphere (The U.S.) the sun shines from the South, making the North sides of tree's more shaded and damp, the perfect conditions for Moss and Moss Spore growth....

The exception though is areas of woods that get little or no "penetrating" sunlight...In area's like this the lack of sunlight allows Moss to grow on all four sides of tree's

NOT the most dependable method nor the only thing to use or consider if you are lost......

Source(s): Gunsmith/Gun Shop Owner-Dealer Avid Hunter (Former Boy Scout) 40 Years Outdoors & Hunting Experience

Legend has it that the moss grows on the north side of a tree. I have not found this to be true often enough to depend on it to navigate by. Moss grows on all sides of a tree. It just depends on which side receives the least amount of sun. If I had to pick a side on which I knew absolutely that the moss grew, I'd have to say the outside. Any other side is a crap shoot. Perhaps if you looked at enough trees you might find that there is some statistical significance in the number of times the moss appears on the north side versus any other side but I would not rely on it for a survival tool. I don't care what Bear Grills says.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): side tree moss grow on: https://tr.im/zec1d

Sometimes moss only grows on the north side of trees. However I have seen plenty of trees with moss all around or moss only on the south side.

It really isn't a reliable way to get your bearings. Learn how to tell direction by the sun, the sun is much more reliable than moss.

Moss can actually grow on the north, east, south, west, or the entire tree.

I think if you're lost and were to use this as your only means of direction, you have to take a look at many trees in the forest to see if moss is all on the same side --- in which case it's likely to be out of the northsomething.

But if you just look at one tree, you're going to get even more twisted around.

Where Does Moss Grow

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awBkB

Moss grow on all sides of trees, but survives best in the shade. There would be slightly more moister on the North side (in the Norther hemisphere) of the tree, as dew would evaporate more slowly in the shade. These are personal suppositions, so take them for what the are worth. So, you've noticed moss growing oddly in Cemeteries? Are those trees better shaded on that side?

Moss grows on the north side of trees where the sun doesn't shine on it.

• smf_hi

Usually the north in most places, but here in Wa state it's so cold and wet most of the year, the moss shrugs off the sun and grows where the heck it wants to, and no I'm not kidding! You sure don't want to use it as any type of navigation, cause you would definately get your azz lost in a heartbeat.

• North