Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 1 decade ago

Which is a better country to live, Germany or South Africa?

Hello. I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL but my husband and I are considering a move to either Germany or South Africa. I am originally from Cape Town, South Africa, and he is originally from Stuttgart, Germany. We don't have any family in America and would like our children to be raised around family. However we're not sure which country would be the best for us, or offer our children the most opportunity. I am an Anesthesiologist and my husband is an Orthopedic Surgeon. I have two daughters aged 8 and 14, and two sons aged 10 and 16. And they were all taught German and Afrikaans. Also, my 16 year old son is gay, so we need an area open to homosexuality. We would also like an area that has good education standards. And also a place where we will both be able to find work. So, South Africa or Germany?

Thank you all!

Best Answer

Hi Jenn! I'm a student from Germany currently studying at Vassar College in the U.S. I don't know much about South Africa beyond what's on Wikipedia, but I feel I might still provide some helpful remarks about Germany. I'll probably draw some comparisons to the U.S. so you have a reference point.

So first of all, this is obviously a really really personal decision, and it may in the end just be a matter of where you and your family feel more at home or where you like it better. That said, here are some thoughts:

Education: German high-schools are pretty good (better than American ones I'd think). I could place ahead of most of the freshmen in my college (many of whom are from private schools) with the courses I had taken at the public Gymnasium in my town. Higher education is so-so; the average German university is probably not that bad, but top schools can't compete with say American colleges/universities. I don't know what it's like in South Africa... College may be the time to explore other countries anyway though, so it might not even matter that much.

Economy: Germany is (in general) similar to the U.S. The health system is pretty good from a patient's point of view, but apparently not quite as nice for health professionals (too little pay for too long work hours), but that's just what I heard. Your professional communities will probably be able to give you some more well-founded advice here. I do think you'll be able to find work in any case.

Gay-friendliness: I think Germany is doing well in this regard. Compared to the U.S., it's much more moderate (no religious right for instance) and (somewhat) more liberal, but on the other hand there's probably less awareness of LGBT issues in terms of diversity issue than in the U.S. ("Diversity" is simply not much of a topic in Germany, there's not even a good idiomatic translation.)

Speaking of which, I should probably write something about racial diversity. I don't know your ethnicity or race, but, even if you're white, it may be relevant for you that Germany is fairly non-diverse. The vast majority of people has white skin color, mostly of German descent and some other European ethnicities. Wikipedia says (don't know if it's correct) that there are "around 100,000 Afro-Germans and 150,000+ African nationals as well as nearly 50,000 Indian-Germans" (article "Demography of Germany"). Regarding safety, if you have dark skin, I would in all honesty suggest that you do some research about the area before moving there, in terms of crime statistics and right-wing extremist groups. Uh, it's not as bad as I'm making it sound here, most areas are actually quite safe I'd think. Due to the low percentage of black people, people might actually be more "color-blind" than in more diverse countries. My guess would be that being black does not mark you as much as a second-class citizen as it might in more diverse countries since the association black=poor/less-educated/working-class doesn't exist in people's minds, but it obviously does place you in an extremely small minority group. Also (and this could be a problem for you regardless of your skin color) there's comparably little understanding about diversity beyond discrimination issues; for instance it's not really common knowledge that things like ethnicity, nationality, or cultural background can be a defining part of your identity; in the U.S. I often see this understanding more or less taken for granted.

Okay, this last part sounded kinda negative. :) I do think Germany is a really cool country and I totally like to live there.

I hope I've been able to help you! And feel free to send me a message. :)

South Africa

• Purity

Germany without a doubt!! South Africa isn't the kind of place to bring up western Children unless you're a missionary.

Germany 100%.

• Sandra

well gosh, all my friends from germany and south africa live in my neighborhood because the jobs here were more abundant than there.

try jun ken po , knife, paper, rock

I LIKE SOUTH AFRICA CUZ OF ALL THE ANIMALS!

south america

Germany. they have good food and beer.