Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jewish: race as well as religion?

Ok i know that jewish is a religion, but is it also a race? i get so many different answers for that cause that question was going around at school today. if you answer, can you please provide a source or something from the net. you dont have to, but it would help me out =)

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First, jewish is NOT a religion. Judaism is a religion, and if you practice it, then you are Jewish. To know the answer to the question you were asking though, you have to know a little bit of the history. Look in Genesis chapter 29 if you have a bible, if not there are plenty of sites online where you can do so. Anyway the story is this: Abraham was the first Jew. He was blessed with his son Isaac, who was in turn blessed with his son Jacob. Jacob was then given the name Israel, and he ended up having 12 sons of his own. Those 12 sons were the 12 tribes of Judah. To be one of those twelve tribes was to be a Jew. The people as a whole were called Israel (after the father of the 12 tribes). There is a whole lot more to it than that, and I don't have the time or the education to try and tell you all of it. If you boil it down far enough the answer is both yes and no. Jews ARE Israel, and the Israelis are a race, so yes. It is both. On the other hand, if you convert to Judaism, you are adopted into the family regardless of your race, so the answer is no. My suggestion if you want to know more is to do a search on a religious site (Christian or Jewish) with the name Jacob. It starts before him, but I'm guessing you would prefer a slightly abridged version. Your question covers a lot of history, so you may find it slow going. You could also try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob

Beyond that, all I can tell you is happy hunting.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No! Judaism or Jewishness is not a race. There are three accepted races on earth and one proposed race. They are:

Caucasian

Mongoloid

and I'm not sure what the designation is but the Aborigines in Australia are considered a race by some anthropoligists.

There are Caucasian and Mongoloid and ******* Jews. Judaism is a religion. Jewishness is a heritage and a lineage. One can be Jewish by birth, but not Jewish by practice. One can convert to Judaism as a religion, but you cannot convert to another race.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no Jewish race, you're a Jew by religion. The Jews like to claim that they are direct decendents of Abraham, and therefore, Israelites. That is only partly true. Most are the physical decendents of Edom, a non-Israel race. Only tiny remenants of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi were still living in Judea when Jesus arrived to announced the Kingdom of God.

They rejected Jesus as the Messiah then and they still to this day claim they alone are "God's chosen people". God says if you don't accept His Son, you are no part of His. So, who you gonna believe?

I'm not going to provide any source from the 'net'...the Bible makes it very clear who the Jews are...and are not. Do some research of your own, you'll be amazed what you find out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's not a race it's a religion.

One reason why it can not be a race is because anyone can convert from one religion to another, so what if someone converts to Judaism, does that mean that they are now apart of that race? Not all Jews are born into Judaism, they are not all of Jewish descent which makes Judaism a religion not a race.

Here are some more information:

http://judaism.about.com/od/abcsofjudaism/a/beingj...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism

Hope I helped! =]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No being Jewish is not a race it is only a religion.

• 1 decade ago

In English law they are defined as a race for the purposes of the Race Relations Act. Some people consider the means by which this definition has been arrived at as somewhat artificial.

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=...

http://www.bedford.ac.uk/contact/downloads/downloa...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Technically you wouldn't call it a race, because not all Jew are from Jewish descent. That's like Saying all baptists are black. It's more like a nation or culture of people

• 1 decade ago

Jews are descendants of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob. Therefore they are a ethnic group.

I have a friend who is Jewish by birth. However, religiously, he is an Atheist, although his parents are Jews in the religious sense.

• 1 decade ago

White is a race. Judiasm is a religion. My best friend is a Philipeano (sorry I can't spell) Jew.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there are Jews of all races, so it is not a race, but a religion

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.