If you have a child that has been in first grade recently, can you please tell me if this is how school is or?

did I misunderstand the teacher? My son started 1st grade Monday and had been homeschooled because of health reasons through Kindergarten and the first few months of 1st grade. He has been crying every day when I drop him off and cries as soon as he sees me in the afternoon. When I ask him why, he says he... show more did I misunderstand the teacher? My son started 1st grade Monday and had been homeschooled because of health reasons through Kindergarten and the first few months of 1st grade. He has been crying every day when I drop him off and cries as soon as he sees me in the afternoon. When I ask him why, he says he doesn't know what to do, or what center to go to. I didn't understand what a center was, so I wanted to talk to his teacher about it this morning to see if we could help him figure this out. She said they have groups that move from one center to the other, like reading, science, and writing centers. When I said he didn't know what to do, or how it worked, she told me when students don't know what to do, they tell them to ask another student to help them because the teachers are busy doing one on one with other students. I said ok but as this comment sank in after I left the school, I started wondering if 6 year olds are "teaching" other 6 year olds what to do? Is this how it
Update: works now? Do teachers NOT stand up in front of the class and actually teach as a group anymore? I guess my son is having a hard time understanding that a 6 year old child is supposed to “teach” him. She told me that my son has tried coming to her a few times to ask a question, but she sent him to another... show more works now? Do teachers NOT stand up in front of the class and actually teach as a group anymore? I guess my son is having a hard time understanding that a 6 year old child is supposed to “teach” him. She told me that my son has tried coming to her a few times to ask a question, but she sent him to another classmate to help him. Please tell me that I have misunderstood this.