Why did Barack Obama vote in favor of reauthorizing the Patriot Act?

Update: Ricky, you do realize that he spoke out against it, before he became a Senator?
Update 2: From www.ontheissues.org This vote reauthorizes the PATRIOT Act with some modifications (amendments). Voting YEA extends the PATRIOT Act. A bill to clarify that individuals who receive FISA orders can challenge nondisclosure requirements, that individuals who receive national security letters are not required... show more From www.ontheissues.org
This vote reauthorizes the PATRIOT Act with some modifications (amendments). Voting YEA extends the PATRIOT Act.

A bill to clarify that individuals who receive FISA orders can challenge nondisclosure requirements, that individuals who receive national security letters are not required to disclose the name of their attorney, that libraries are not wire or electronic communication service providers unless they provide specific services, and for other purposes.

Opponents of the bill say to vote NAY because:
• Some may see the vote we are about to have as relatively trivial. They are mistaken. While the bill we are voting on makes only minor cosmetic changes to the PATRIOT Act, it will allow supporting the PATRIOT Act conference report that was blocked in December. Cosmetic changes simply don't cut it when we are talking about protecting the rights and freedoms of Americans from unnecessarily intrusive Government powers.
Update 3: • The White House has tried to make life uncomfortable for Senators. It has suggested they are soft on terrorism, that they don't understand the pressing threat facing this country, that they are stuck in a pre-9/11 mindset. Those attacks should be rejected. • We can fight terrorism aggressively without... show more • The White House has tried to make life uncomfortable for Senators. It has suggested they are soft on terrorism, that they don't understand the pressing threat facing this country, that they are stuck in a pre-9/11 mindset. Those attacks should be rejected.
• We can fight terrorism aggressively without compromising our most fundamental freedoms against Government intrusion. The Government grabbed powers it should not have when it passed the original PATRIOT Act and we should not be ratifying that power grab today. The PATRIOT Act reauthorization conference report is flawed. S. 2271 pretends to fix it but I don't think anyone is fooled, least of all our constituents.
• Because the Republican leadership obstructed efforts to improve the bill, the "police state" provisions regarding gag orders remain uncorrected. The Senate should get down to the serious business of legislating real fixes to the PATRIOT Act.
Update 4: Reference: USA PATRIOT Act Additional Reauthorizing Amendments; Bill S. 2271 ; vote number 2006-025 on Mar 1, 2006
Update 5: Labken18, I posted the source above, the arguments are from opponents of the bill.. and only minor adjustments were made when Senator Obama voted for it.. if he was so adamantly opposed to this then he should have taken a stand and voted against it..
Update 6: You can also find this information in the library of Congress. It has all the details on this bill.
Update 7: EDIT: Labken18, I’m not aware of who made those specific arguments, although I do agree with them.. If it’s really that important to you, I can look up the info, but I don’t see how it’s even relevant, we already know it wasn’t Senator Obama.. Second of all I’ve already read through the original bill and this... show more EDIT: Labken18, I’m not aware of who made those specific arguments, although I do agree with them.. If it’s really that important to you, I can look up the info, but I don’t see how it’s even relevant, we already know it wasn’t Senator Obama..

Second of all I’ve already read through the original bill and this one, if there was any drastic change I wouldn’t take issue with this, but there obviously wasn’t..

I’m glad Senator Obama believes in compromising.. so much that he’d vote the rights guaranteed to us by the Constitution away.. Is this what I should expect from an Obama presidency? He wanted to end the war but the neo-cons told him not to, so he changed his position? Sorry you may admire his ability to compromise.. but I’m looking for a candidate with backbone, one that will stand up for what he/she believes in and one that will fight for us..