lisa

What states don't charge tax on toilet paper?

I had no clue that some states don't charge tax on TP but I just saw on Yahoo homepage that the little old lady won her fight against KMart for taxing toilet paper! What state did that happen in? Do I have to pay tax on TP in Missouri?

Favorite Answer

Florida charges tax on TP. Delaware is a tax free state, so they don't. That's the only place I have ever heard of, until that lady won her lawsuit. Good for her.

As a resident of MO I can assure you that MO taxes TP. Most states with a sales tax tax all tangible personal property and that includes TP. A few exempt certain food for off-premises consumption (i.e groceries) but all non-food items in the cart are fully taxable.

I'm not aware of any state with a sales tax that exempts TP and would be surprised if there is one.

• Tim

California charges no tax on food items only. Medicine is taxable. TP is taxable. Hot food though is taxable.

• m d

some don't on things that are mandatory needs, milk, TP, butter, peanut butter, bread, things of that nature don't get taxed because they are basic needs and are cheaper for poorer family's to afford.

basiclly anything that can be bought by food stamps isn't taxed to anyone

In most states you don't pay tax on food or necessary items.

oregon is a tax free state

Source(s): used to live in oregon

Pennsylvania I believe was the state they showed.

delaware doesn't have tax on TP.

i don't know about missouri.

Florida does not have any taxes on anything!

I don't know but it sure would be nice!