Do you have to bake these rolls, or can you eat them as is?

At the grocery, they sell rolls (I've also seen this on their baguettes) that are in the bread aisle (ie, not frozen, not refrigerated). On the package it says you to bake them for 10 minutes or something of the sort. But they look like they're cooked already... it's not just dough, it's cooked rolls, but they want you to cook it more?

Do you *have* to bake these? Can I just eat it as is?

I'm young, don't know all the ways of bread yet :P

So thanks for the insight!

To add to my question... do they really sell partially baked bread and not refrigerate it and then expect you to finish baking it?

EXACTLY! they're the "brown and serve" rolls :)

Best Answer

Here is what is says on the Baking and Baking Science website about brown and serve rolls: (I would probably not eat them without browning and serving according to this)

BROWN AND SERVE DINNER ROLLS PROVIDE AN ANSWER TO MAXIMUM TABLE FRESHNESS, FOR EXAMPLE, FRESHNESS THAT IS ACHIEVED BY THE FINAL BROWNING OR BAKING OF A PARTIALLY BAKED BAKERY PRODUCT JUST PRIOR TO SERVING TIME. GENERAL MILLS, INC DEVELOPED THE CONCEPT IN THE LATE 1940'S. THE MAJOR PRINCIPLE IN PRODUCING BROWN AND SERVE ROLLS INVOLVE THE USE OF A MODIFIED FORMULA. THE OBJECTIVE IS TO BAKE THE ROLLS TO A POINT OF RIGIDITY AND FULL VOLUME WITHOUT BROWNING THE CRUST. THIS MEANS THAT THE ROLL WILL HOLD IT'S SHAPE AFTER BEING PARTIALLY BAKED. IT IS FULLY FORMED, OR SET, WITH THE DERSIRED BODY FOR EASE IN HANDLING AND TRANSPORTATION. IT REQUIRES CONTROLLED BAKING AT REDUCED OVEN TEMPERATURE AS COMPARED TO NORMAL BAKING TEMPERATURE FOR A RELATIVELY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

you can eat them as is but they leave the last 10 minutes off the baking process so that you can "brown the bread" and heat it through without over baking.

If you want a really crisp crust brush with a mixture of 1 Tablespoon of water and 1 egg white. this helps the crust to brown more and get crispy

Yes you do have to bake them. Eaten "raw" you would probably get a tummy ache. Unbaked dough very indigestible. These rolls are delicious and are generally have a good shelf life so are good as a reserve when friends drop in. I actually freeze them separately then they take longer to cook but you always have a stock.

Source(s): Cooked for years.

You can certainly eat them as is, they are simply baked for about ten minutes less time so that you the consumer can "freshen" them up in the oven.

It makes the crust crispy again and besides what smells better than baking bread?

I knew it! Hard to think of something is it not? lolol

your probably thinking of the brown and serve rolls! I think you can eat them not baked! but they are slightly not done and thats why it says to bake them! Those are my fav!!

bake the rolls to warm them up thats the best i do.

well like you said if it is not refrigerated or frozen it very likely that is already cooked..... they probably advise you to bake them to make them more toasty......or to brown them...... good luck :)

Chances are there not fully cooked. Do as it says to be safe.

You must bake them. They are not "done" and are a little sticky/doughy. They are my favorites!

it would be safe to cook, i think you can only eat cookie dough plain