Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesMitsubishi · 1 decade ago

turbo question?

were can i get a bolt on turbo for a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse gs.i live in houston,tx.online is ok if cheap shipping.name of the store and were it is located or websites name.and i also need instruction on how to install it.

Favorite Answer

you're gonna need a turbo KIT, with all the piping and the intercooler and everything. if you just bolt on the turbo by itself you'll screw the turbo up and your engine. but a good kit can cost around 3 grand. just google "turbo kits for eclipse GS" and it will show you a ton of sites where you can select your year, model, and make and give you kits based specifically for your car. and that way you can browse around and find one you like. not all turbos are the same...

Since nobody has answered your question, go to www.hahnracecraft.com they are the foremost authorities for the Eclipse. They have a kit just for you. The kit runs about $3,500, and labor is about $1,000-$1,500 to have it installed. If you have never installed one DO NOT attempt it. They have to be done CORRECTLY the first time or it's bye-bye engine. This kit has everything you need right down to the fuel management and all the little nuts and bolts. As for the idiot saying that a kit won't give you as much power as the factory turbo car, well he doesn't know crap. The factory 95-99 GS-T and GSX came with 210 HP from the factory at the crank, which in the GS-T model it puts down 185 HP at the wheels, the GSX put down 172 at the wheels being as it drives all 4 wheels. The Hahn kit puts down 225 HP AT THE FRONT WHEELS on 8 PSI for a whopping difference of 40 HP and 53 HP. Now he's going to say well just turn the boost up on the factory turbo cars, well not such a good idea because the factory turbo is already about maxed out because its so small and is already pushing 11-14 PSI.

Well i'm in la x Wi. I've owned a about 8 fwd and awd turbo talons and eclipse's Ask your self a question do you wanna go looks or do you wanna go fast. I would not ever buy a 2g eclipse turbo i have some friends with just bad luck i had a guy crank walk twice and the 2nd time was on a new fully built motor. The 2g have a 7bolt motor and i hear plenty of storys about the same thing happening. I bet you could get some good cash on your 2g and i would try and find a stock 1g 90-92 some year in 92 i think they put the 7bolt in the 1g's. The 6 bolt motor what just your basic care will take you far i have one friend now stock block just bolt on's and cam's and he's hittin 11.1 in the quatermile. And running E85 i know DAVE BUSHER my buddy just bought his time attack car EVo.

If you really thinking about getting a turbo email me i'll help ya out later man

Justracindsm@yahoo.com

I had a 1st gen DSM (1993 Eclipse GS) that I wanted to convert to turbo. I looked at all the kits and pricing, etc. For the price of a good turbo kit and the labor it would've cost, I just bought an turbo car for almost the same price.

Even with a bolt-on turbo kit, you will not get 100% performance as an actual turbo model.

Have you considered doing a 4G63t turbo swap or selling yours and buying the GS-T Eclipse. Both would be better alternatives to you adding a kit and they would cost a little less too.

• spyder

Go check out www.turbo-kits.com. They make bolt-on kits for a variety of cars for competitive prices.

Use a leaf blower.... It worked on my 1983 Dodge K-car (for about 5 minutes)