I am trying to sort data alphabetically in Excel, but have an issue...?

I am trying to sort data in Excel; specifically, I have data in the A column whch is ordered in the cell itself as follows: a customer number, followed by the actual company name. Is there a sort function which will allow me to sort by the company's name (which again follows the company's customer number in the cell) alphabetically; rather than by numerical.

I don't want to have to go into each cell to reorder from number; name to name; number in order to perform this alphabetical search function.

Favorite Answer

I don't think so. You need to create a column B with just the Company name and then sort by that column.

I think the only way you could accomplish this would be to go into the VBA behind the sheet, and do some string manipulation to extract the name from each cell, then order by that. For the amount of effort that would be required, I think I would take the first poster's suggestion an just put the information in a separate column, or you could even change the order of the data in the one column, and put the name first, followed by the number - that would work as well. Good luck.