Why do people care hw many points they have here? Do you win a prize if you answer a certain # of questions?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope, no prizes. People just seem to be naturally competitive. We're trained that way from childhood.

• 1 decade ago

I once asked a similar question and the only indication of material prizes was maybe mugs or t shirts or something and that wasn't real definite, but I think the real prize is the attendant self esteem from clawing yur way to the top of the heap, just like in the real world, the one significant difference is it might be the one place nice guys don't finish last.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think you win anything.

People just like being competitive and getting the most amount of points.

Some people don't care how many they have, they just get them real easily, not by trying to earn more points by just answering to get them 2 extra points.. But writing a useful answer, that will provide good information about the question. So they are voted as 'best answer' and they get more points anyway. :)

• kb9kbu
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

After so many points, you graduate to the next level. No prizes of my knowledge. Just fun and you get to try to help others out.

Source(s): Been here for awhile.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The only prize I have gotten is a water bottle that says Yahoo Answers... I don't even use it because the lid leaks when you try to drink out of it

• Yahoo! Answers

Yahoo! Answers is a community-driven knowledge market website launched by Yahoo! on December 13, 2005 that allows users to ask questions of other users and answer other users' questions. The site gives members the chance to earn points as a way to encourage participation and is based on Naver's Knowledge iN. As of November 2006, it contains 65 million answers and more than 7 million questions. On June 11, 2007, Yahoo!'s former questions and answers service, Ask Yahoo!, was formally merged with Yahoo! Answers.

Virtually any question is allowed, except ones that violate the Yahoo! Answers community guidelines. To encourage good answers, helpful participants are occasionally featured on the Yahoo! 360° blog page. Though the service itself is free, the content of answers are owned by the respective users—while Yahoo! maintains a non-exclusive royalty-free worldwide right to publish the information. Chat is explicitly forbidden in the Community Guidelines, although users may choose to reveal their Yahoo! Messenger ID on their Answers profile page.

In order to open an account a user needs a Yahoo! ID, but can use any name as identification on Yahoo! Answers. A user can also be represented by a Yahoo! avatar or a Yahoo! 360° picture. When answering a question, a pull-down menu allows one to choose to search either Yahoo! or Wikipedia.

The site is based in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Kingdom, Quebec, the United States and Vietnam. The site is available in the United States in both US English and US Spanish and on Canada in both English and French. The user's default language on Yahoo! is their default language on Answers. Users can also opt to only view questions on their native country's site.

Points, levels, and stars

Questions are initially open to answers for three days. However the asker can choose to close the question after a minimum of four hours or extend it for a period of up to seven days. To ask a question one has to have a Yahoo! account with a positive score balance.

The points system is weighted to encourage users to answer questions and to limit spam questions. There are also levels (with point thresholds) which give more site access. Aside from this, points and levels have no real world value, cannot be traded, and serve only to indicate how active a user has been on the site. A notable downside to the points/level side is that this encourages people to answer questions that they do not know the answer to, just to get points. On the other hand many people also ask pointless questions, just for the fun of it.

The point system encourages users to answer as many questions as they possibly can, up to their daily limit. Once a user gets to level 3 or 4, if they are able to maintain a good 'best answer' percentage (above 10%) within a specific category they will receive an orange 'badge' under the name of their avatar naming them a "Top Contributor." A user can be a "Top Contributor" in up to three categories, listed on the user's profile page, which can change depending on the user's answering habits. However, once a user becomes a "Top Contributor" in any category, the badge appears in all answers, questions, and comments by the user regardless of category.

Level / points table

1. 1–249

2. 250–999

3. 1,000–2,499

4. 2,500–4,999

5. 5,000–9,999

6. 10,000–24,999

7. 25,000+

Gifts

Occasionally the Yahoo! Answers Team sends out free gifts to active participants in Yahoo! Answers. Some items received have been stickers, mugs, jackets, Yahoo! Answers bags, water bottles. They commonly do this around their birthday in December.

Highlighting users

From time to time, the Yahoo! Answers team selects a user from the millions who use the feature and writes a blog about him/her in the Yahoo! Answers Blog. This is called the Featured User section. The blog usually talks about the user's activity on the website, as well as a little bit about the user's hobbies. When a user is selected as a Featured User, he/she is sent an e-mail, asking for some details like hobbies, interests, occupation, etc. The user is usually expected to give a few comments on Yahoo! Answers as well. The user is expected to reply to the message appropriately, and the blog is put up in a few weeks. The Blog is on the Yahoo! 360° service.

Yahoo! Answers also has a "Best of Answers" section, in which Yahoo! staff pick questions that have been answered with a particularly highly rated "best answer."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm still trying to get to level 2 so I can rate peoples stupid answers

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no prize's

just points for reaching higher levels and privileges on the site

• 1 decade ago

I don't know.. I guess its just fun to see who's first lol good question

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...Yes, you get to meet Hillary and a "Teddy" bear named Mohammad...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.