Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini?

Does anyone know of any similar type of book to read next? I just finished reading these and I loved them. I'm looking for something about middle eastern culture, doesn't necessarily have to be Afghanistan and something that is fiction.

Favorite Answer

It's hard to find a book that resonates as much as Hosseini's two best sellers - they pull you in and they are masterfully written; as you learn about middle eastern culture.

Kim B is right about the book she recommended, it is excellent.

An author who has a marvelous way with words, but whose books on the middle east are full of images of brutality is Yasmina Khadra. He has a trilogy about Algeria:

"In The Name Of God" (2000)

"Morituri" (2003)

and "Wolf Dreams" (2003)

I prefer his more recent book

"Swallows of Kabul" (2004)

which is set in Afghanistan, under the Taliban

He has written others, notably "The Attack" in 2006, which I haven't read, set in Tel Aviv, where a prominent Jew's wife is found to be behind a suicide bombing.

His name is a pseudonym, and he is actually exiled from Algeria because of his writing.

And, in case you missed it, "The Kite Runner" is an upcoming film!

• Tara

He has been traveling & working in afghanistan, but is working on a book "Many of you have asked if a third novel is forthcoming. I appreciate very much the interest. I am in fact working on a third novel, set in Afghanistan. I can’t say when it will be done, nor can I say much about the plot at this point, mainly because I don’t outline my books and they always become something other than I had envisioned when I started them. But I am working now that most of my travels are done and I look forward to a long stretch of uninterrupted writing. Many thanks, as ever, for your support and interest"

You could try Salman Rushdie - I highly recommend "Shame" (more so than "Satanic Verses", which is also a very good read).

Also, if you wanted to try fiction from India/Pakistan, I would suggest "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry, "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy, and "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri.

I read a great book recently called Reading Lolita in Tehran. It focuses more on women and education, but I thought it was great. Here's a link. http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Lolita-Tehran-Memoir...

Happy reading!