how to open .bin files in linux (ubuntu) ??

can anyone knows about it as i have download real player and its in bin format.

(reward for best answer)

Update:

as a beginner i dont know ant prog or command

i dont know wat to do in terminal or how to open the dir in terminal :(

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Ensure you trust the source of the file. The following procedure will allow the bin file to make any changes it wants to make to your system.

- Save the bin file to your home folder.

- Click Applications, Accessories, Terminal.

- Press ENTER after each command below.

- To make the BIN file executable: In the terminal, type the command:

chmod 755 NameOfBinFile.bin

- To run the file and install RealPlayer type the command:

sudo ./NameOfBinFile.bin

- Follow the on screen prompts.

Source(s): 10+ years administering Linux based systems. 7+ years supporting and administering Debian dpkg based systems. 1+ years running various Ubuntu versions
    • SCC5 years agoReport

I am also trying to run AdobeAIRInstaller.bin, and not Real Player, in case if you need that information.

• kise
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Linux Bin File

• Ethel
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axcfk

It's best to use the repos and package managers to install software in linux try this in a terminal: sudo apt-get install acroread If you are really set on installing the bin file do this in a terminal: cd to where the file is located chmod +x AdbeRdr9.3.4-1_i486linux_enu.bin ./AdbeRdr9.3.4-1_i486linux_enu.bin (both of the above commands end with: .bin) You will not be able to get a free license for Adobe Pro Just go to google and search linux pdf viewers/editors and try some of them out.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

All you have to do is go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Center and do a search for "adobe reader." This is like an app-store for Ubuntu. Everything installs automatically. There is actually a program already installed for reading PDFs, which will open automatically.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1. Download the Realplayer .bin file from http://www.real.com/linux

2. Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.

3. Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin". Follow the prompts provided to finish installing the player.

4. When you launch the player for the first time, a set-up assistant will take you through configuring your player.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You'll need an ISO program that runs on ubuntu. I BELIEVE (don't quote me on this though) that PowerISO runs on linux. It will be able to open the .bin file for you and allow you to extract and install your real player.

• 3 years ago

Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type the following command:

$ chmod +x file.bin

Start the installation process or run .bin file. Type the following command:

./file.bin

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.