Video games should be un-censored?

why do u think that video games should be un-censored, i need help with my school project... thx

Favorite Answer

Actually I don't.

What a lot of people don't realize is that our brains are 'programmable' - we absorb the information that comes in. Whatever information it is, and that includes graphic violence or violent lyrics or rape scenes...

People under about 18 are still in a mode where their brains are growing, so they absorb much more information much more quickly than those older. And, they don't have the experience needed to filter the 'bad stuff' nearly as well. That's just how the human brain works.

There are lots of unfortunate rules out there that try to tell adults how to live their lives. That's just being a busy-body.

However, there is real value in shielding kids from stuff that will program their brains to think in ways that are bad for the rest of us.

Video games should be uncensored for many reasons. For one, its not all that bad, no worse than what you hear about on the news. If they say something about rape or murder on the news, then should that be censored? Most kids who play video games are smart enough(I hope) to tell what the difference is between reality and a video game. I've been playing M rated games and watching R rated movies since I was old enough to understand them, like when I was around 7 or 8. I mean, a 5 year old wouldn't know what rape or murder was to an extent, they could probably care less, they'd think someone died, and that would be the end of it. I even remember the first M rated game I played, it was Turok, and it didn't have any effect on me or bother me at all. I think that its just the media and religious groups always trying to censor things, thinking that children will be negatively influenced by these things. Besides, children and young adults should have the right to decide what they like and dislike, no one should tell them how to live their lives.

No.

Adding any censorship to any product only produces the following effects.

1. The mainstream is deprived of the entire content and experience of the product. This causes a "black" market to spring up to fill the void. The black market is only profitable if the uncensored commodity is worth paying for. Otherwise, you get the "hot coffee" mod like in GTA.

2. Censoring the commodiaty, by removing part (or all) of the product from a group of people (or all the people) deprives the consumers of the total experience. And I promise that the manufactures of the product will not reduce retail cost because they are now only effectively selling "part" of their product.

You will have the argument that children, old ladies, cristain conservatives cannot handle uncensored video games. This is a flawed logic question. Children shouldn't be allowed to decide what they do and don't like. Old ladies don't play video games. And the christains can't even intrupret their book consistantly, let alone a design studio's multimedia project.

Because attacking the effects do not affect the cause. I always hear the song, "Smack that" censored and it is so obvious to anyone what word they are censoring. People aren't dumb. They can figure these things out. It's not going to lower the crime rate or the possibility that the child listening will turn out bad.

I think so.

No one in South Africa cares about these things. I played doom when i was a kid and I turned out fine.

Then again Americans don't have the best track record with stable minds...

they shouldn't. all of those curse words and gta games are setting a bad influence