How do you remove paint from a brick wall?

I recently bought a house that has a brick wall in the kitchen. I like the idea of this, a lot you can do with it to make it trendy. The only problem is that the previous owners painted it white. Is there anyway to get the paint off and salvage the brick?

Has anyone had a similar experience? Answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You have to use a heavy duty paint stripper. The hardest part is getting it out of the mortar because it is pourous. You should use a mask, eye protection and good ventilation while you are using the stripper because most of them are toxic and have horrible fumes. After you scrape off most of the paint, you can use a palm sander to get off the rest. Then, because it is in a kitchen, I would seal the brick so it doesn't get nasty from airborn grease.

Source(s): 30 years experience in interior design and have stripped brick
  • 1 decade ago

Normally I'd say use a power sprayer, but it's an indoor wall, and sprayers make a big mess.

Otherwise, you should be able to get a chemical solvent, and then scrape the paint off. It'll take a lot of work though to get it off all the surfaces and stuff.

• lee b
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

the only way is sandblasting but you could just paint it brick colour

Source(s): pro painter and decorator 15 years
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

extremely tough task. query into bing and yahoo. this could actually help!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

sand blast and or wire brush...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.