My wife noticed our 2 & 4 year old boys watching the MAX and RUBY cartoon. Question, Where are their PARENTS?

How will this impact the kids watching this cartoon when they never see parental guidence and development interaction with the kids???

Favorite Answer

Answer - It's a CARTOON.

We never really saw Charlie Brown's parents either, you know.

I never could figure out where their parents were! (lol) BUT there is a grandmother that appears sometimes. And you do get the general feeling that parents are there in the background somewhere. You just don't see them.

I think it was a great cartoon for my kids because it shows Max and Ruby working things out on their own -- Ruby is always a responsible and caring person (even if Max does annoy her sometiimes), and Max, besides being a cutie, is usually well behaved and listens to Ruby. Nothing traumatic ever happens. Ruby and Max are never put in dangerous situations (needing a parent's involvement). And I don't think having the parents absent from the cartoon is a detrimental thing. The cartoon teaches "getting along with others," responsibility, safety, caring, and respect -- all of which kids need to learn. As well, it also teaches problem solving and "figuring things out on your own" because the parents aren't always there swooping in and "fixing" things for them or telling them the right thing to do. They must figure it out on their own. And they do; that's the great thing.

Your kids will not only enjoy the cartoon, because it is a good entertaining show, they will benefit from it as well. Did you know it was based on a series of award winning books? Sit down and watch it with them, you'll see. It's a great show. Then maybe check out some of the books at the library. You'll be pleased (and perhaps relieved) at the content.

Source(s): mother of two
  • louie

i have always wondered that about that cartoon.... but really, come on. My daughter watches it and has for a long time, and never questioned parental guidence. She has parental guidance at home so why worry about the next person, or cartoon. i think you are reading to much into it. interaction with other kids is gonna come with your help, not by a cartoon

i do daycare and that is their favorate carton to watch. and i personally have asked myself that same question but its just a cartoon and it actually is teaching the kids to be creative. the kids i watch actually get up and do what the cartoon is doing. they even go around with a cape on saying super bunny so it is very educational as far as i am concerned its a good cartoon and it is not going to cause any harm to the kids i am sure they know it is pretend. hope this helps

What about Peanuts? You never saw their parents either. Dragon Tales. Same thing. The kids are always in their playroom while the parents are downstairs. These shows are fine for kids. I have never actually seen Max and Ruby, but my son loves the other shows and it has not hurt anything.

It's a cartoon! It's meant to be entertainment. I think you are taking this too seriously. The parental guidance comes from you, not the TV. Give your kids more credit than that.

Yeah I noticed that too, but their grandma does come over lot's if that makes you feel better?!?! I really don't think our kids notice it, as parents we are so analitical of everything or child watches, as we want what is the best for them. If it bugs you that much, turn off the TV and YOU the parent have good "developmental interaction" with your children without TV .

Lots of cartoons don't really have "parents". The kids do have parents, they just never appear in the cartoon. Like Ed, Edd, and Eddy - their parents are rarely there.

Their parents are on their computers asking questions about cartoons!

my children have watched it too- I also noticed this, didn't think about it long...it's a cartoon. Have you paid any attention to how all cartoons now days do things that make you go hmmmmm

• Rina

its a cartoon. dont think so much into it. Children dont watch cartoons to be politically correct. They see it as entertainment. it wont hurt them. I mean come on this is a little dramatic