New Answers Category?

I mean no offense, but can we agree that Yahoo needs to add a new category called "Wanna-be Writers" and separate it from the "Books and Authors" category?

I'm sorry, but if you are asking people to help you come up with the name for your book or its characters, you lack a certain amount of creativity that is necessary to survive in the field.

Don't we need to create a new forum for aspiring writers to share their work, their ideas, and their quest for attention?

Favorite Answer

I disagree with that. I think that one forum is quite enough. And this is my reasoning.

Many people come here for help with homework. This could be a paper that they are writing, it could be a question about the novel they are reading. And if they are writing a book report, they would need to post it into both areas because many of the knowledgeable people would drift into one category or another.

And many of the people who write have a huge knowledge base from reading so much. Reading literature and writing novels tend to go hand in hand. Look at Persephone Hellecat. Have you ever looked at her profile? She's published, and teaches creative writing. Most of these people would only start lending their expertise to one end or the other.

And secondly, many people who need help with a name for their work or character do have the creativity needed to survive in the field. Sometimes you have a character that the names you make them wear never quite fit. And then you look and look and it helps to look here as well. Now if you are asking for "what's a good vampire name so i can write my vampire novel with tons of vampires", that's not good.

But many authors, published authors, have trouble finding titles because they spend so long writing out their complex characters, weaving their detailed plots, that summing up several hundred pages in one word or phrase that doesn't sound boring is really difficult. The more complex their work, the more difficult it becomes. If you've read Twilight, you'll see how complicated the book is, story and character-wise. The book was very close to being published before she and the publisher found a name for it.

So I don't think we need a new category. But I would be interested in hearing more about why you think we do. You can email me through my profile, or you can add details if you want to.

That's not a bad idea. "Books and Authors" could be for questions about already-published works, while an "Aspiring Authors" category could take on those interested in publishing new material or looking for writing guidance.

Now if only there were a way to get all the homework-slacking kids to stop asking people to write their essays for them...