Would like feedback from anyone who has owned a 2002-2003 Ford Windstar?

I'm thinking of buying a used Ford Windstar. So far I have found both 2002 and 2003 in my price range. I would like to hear from those who have owned one or currently own to see what you think about it. Any major problems? How about gas mileage? Do you have small children, and if so do you find it easier to transport kids with a van rather than a car? Thanks

Favorite Answer

My son has a 2005 Windstar and loves it! He piles my three grandchildren, gear, toys, food, and his wife into it and heads out for the next adventure. This vehicle goes on 50 - 200 mile trips regularly. He only does the routine oil changes and plug changes and hasn't had any major difficulties.

As far as Ford Trucks go, I retired my 93 Explorer with 219,000 miles on it. My 97 Mountaineer is just getting broken in at 121,000 miles. Maintenance is key. Oil changes (I use synthetics) every 5000 miles and plugs and air filter every 30,000 miles and the checks recommended in the manual and you are good to go!

All that said, always have a used vehicle checked by a professional mechanic. They put it up on a rack, and you'd be surprised at what you find when looking at it from the bottom. They can read the computer and more importantly, how recently it had been reset.

Good luck with your acquisition,

RJ

The vehicle should be fine, I suggest keeping an eye on the transmission and the quality of the fluid do not hesitate to have it flushed. This has really been the only problems that the 2002-2003 Model years that come into the shop.

I haven't personally owned a Windstar (we own a Grand Caravan) but I checked Consumer Reports ratings for those years and they rate it as "Average" over all. As far as transporting kids, the van beats a sedan hands down!

Source(s): personal experience

my wife drive,s a 02 wind star. v6 she is happy with it she strap,s the 6 year old grand son in and off they go he loves it has a very good stereo system and gas mil age about 20 mph per gallon if she keep,s her foot out of it and drive,s like a 40 year old granny should. only problem i have with it is the button.s that let the window,s up and down and the one,s that lock the door,s you hit the door lock if you don,t look every time.