jahid asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

is my daughter a autism baby?

my daughter is 2 years and 3 months old.but she talk a little bit. like --- bye, baby 1,2 no, . i am so much worried about her . th eother babies of my relatives at the same age the are talking a lot. please help me .

Favorite Answer

There are a number of other signs that may indicate a child has autism.

Child does not respond when his/her name is called.

No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter

No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter

No babbling by 12 months

No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months

No words by 16 months

No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months

Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age

If she exhibits any of these signs and you are concerned that your daughter has autism, you should discuss this with your pediatrician and request that an evaluation be done by a team of professionals who have experience with autism.

Source(s): http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/learnsigns.ph... Mother of a child w/autism

My third daughter is 32 months and does not speak yet either, but we know she is not autisitc since she makes eye contact and has normal social skills otherwise. SHe follows directions very well, plays normally with her 2 older sisters. If you are concerned talk to her doctor about it. You can't compare children, my first daughter spoke 400 or more words at 14 months and she knew all her shapes, colors, etc ,and started reading at age 3, now is in a 5th grade reading program in kindergarten. I just mean that you can't even compare children in one family-I would not consider any of my children less intelligent than the others. Anyway, you can contact your state's Zero to Three program, an evaluation can be conducted at no cost to you to determine if your daughter qualifies for intervention (speech therapy, occupational therapy). After age 3 it is usually controlled by your public school system. These numbers should be in the government section of your phone book, or ask your doctor.

Source(s): Mother of four under age 6

If talking were the only criteria - a lot of babies would be mis-diagnosed. I'm not sure about the finger length answer, but I do know it applies in the case of Down Syndrome. Does she relate to people, engaging with her eyes, show interest in what goes on? Does she have repetitive, nearly obsessive traits, like lining things up in certain order, or looking at only specific things. Does she flap her hands, or have other physical or verbal outbursts? If she has any of those symptoms, the best thing is to see a doctor immediately. Otherwise, like most mothers, you may wish you could return to these "quiet" days once she really gets going with the talking.

Is your baby an only child? 1st babies learn to talk a lot slower than if they are constantly surrounded by other children. If you have an older child but of a similar age the same applies as they will not be receiving language stimulation from this child. Do not worry about your child being autistic based on her beind a bit slower to talk, some babies walk at 10 months, others don't walk until they're nearly 2, its the same principle. Please don't base your worry on her learning to talk being slightley slower than other children. Have you taken her to the doctors? What is her personal awareness like? At this age children start to recognise themselves in the mirror. Try tests like this. Also what is she like with things such as hand- eye coordination? What about affection? Is she aware of you? Is she aware and does she interact with other children? XX

• Kris L

Your daughter may be predisposed to autism. If you are worried about her having it, you should get her examined by a good pediatric psychiatrist who can tell you for sure whether she has autism, Asberger's syndrome, or is merely 'slow' in acquiring language for another reason, like her hearing being bad. Go to the best UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL and ask them to make the appointment she'll need to get started. Do this as soon as possible. There may be NOTHING wrong with her, but this appointment will help you find out for sure if there is or isn't, and may also give you help in finding out what you need to do next, so your daughter can be as normal as possible. Good luck. I'll be praying for both of you.

• Taryn

Does she make eye contact with you? Does she seem to connect with people, or is she more often off in her own little world?

Babies have strong non-verbal communication, usually. If her communication seems strange, have her assessed.

All babies and kids learn at their own pace, and late speech can be due to many different factors.

Check with your doctor.

EDIT: To expand on what Nancy said, those exceptional skills are called "splinter skills", and only some children have them. Being very advanced in certain areas can be an indication, most definately, but don't dismiss your concerns if you are not seeing them.

Junebug and Kelly have both described some important warning signs. Keep them in mind.

My friend's kid spoke when he was 3 ( He never shut up after that!). Before that he screamed a lot and never said a word. I was told my sister-in-law did not say a word til she was 4 and she is a computer programmer now. You should have her checked but not get worried about it. It is also not uncommon for a child who is in a bilingual family to speak late. I know of another child who spoke his first word past age of 3. Not all children are alike.

Children develop speech at their own rate. What's normal for one child isn't normal for another. Some children don't really speak very well until they're 4 or 5. It's not a reflection of her intelligence nor does it indicate that she is autistic. You might have her hearing checked to make sure she hears well. The best way to help her learn to talk better is to talk to her more.....read her little books to her.

Some children learn to talk fast, some are slower. In the end they all learn. My youngest son did not speak at all till 2y6m and than it started like a waterfall. He is now bilingual and fluent in both languages.

• There are 2 things to consider in this instance, first off, the best way to be sure is to test the child. not by the many tests listed here, but by a professional in the field of learning and development. the second is that there are many people out there, even programmers, that are autistic and they lead very normal lives, and most of whom unless you know them as well or better than their own family, you would never know. so please take a breath, and a bit of learned advise. yes or no, early diagnosis, and intervention is the best way to handle it.

Source(s): child learning and development specialist here in Amarillo, tx I S D