Lucy
Lucy asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Someday, I'd Like To Breed Birds, How Do I Go About Doing That?

I just think that it would be a very enjoyable experience. I'd like to breed a few larger ones, some medium, and some small.

- Macaw

- African Grey

- Cockatoo

- Conures

- Ringneck Parakeets

- Quakers

- Maybe some Cockatiels or Budgies

I have lots of experience with birds, so I know how to handle. I also have an Avian Specialist Certification so I'm licensed to hand-feed babies. (They offered it at PetSmart when I worked in the Specialty department, so I'm not sure if it's the real thing.)

My job in the future will be at home, so I'll be at home all the time - devoting myself to the birdy babies. So, no worries at me being gone all day! :)

1) Do I need some sort of of training course, and after that, a license?

2) What birds should I start out with?

3) Any other recommendations?

4) If I was in no need of a training course - where can I learn? I do not know what time to take the babies out, how much to feed at what age, how many times to feed at a certain age .. etc.

Thanks! :)

There are no rescues in my area, and there are no bird over-population problems.

I'd rather breed birds, then dogs.

Favorite Answer

First, learn all you can about the specise of parrots you want to breed. The birds you have listed are all over the board as far as temperament and needs.

Second, the Avian Specialist Certificate you earned from PetSmart is just an in-store franchise thing. To date, there are no licenses needed , though by the time you want to breed there might be.

Third, the experience you have from PetSmart, while valuable, is not a very broad experience. Most of the babies that come in are still being hand-fed and are therefore sweet. They are also developing their body language skills, so most of the aggression and fear you may seein adult birds is totally missing inthe babies you are dealing with.

Just because you don't see the birds that need new homes doesn't mean that they are not there. I am not anti-breeding, but there are plenty of bird breeders out there (just do a search!).

I am not sure where you are from, but in Ohio macaws, cockatoos,amazons (not tomention keets, Quakers and most other small parrots) ARE overpopulated - I get offered a free or cheap large parrot at least 3 times a week. In fact, I have a M2 that is sitting on my couch right now who has been rehomed many times in 7 years due to mutilation and other "behavioral issues". Though the mutilation was mild, her owners of 2 years decided they could not handle it any more. I work at the vet office that she was brought in to to be euthanized at but we offered to take her instead because she was otherwise healthy. I am her 6th and last home. She has stopped the mutilation for now but no one knows how long that will last. She has proved to be a wonderful pet, but I can't help but feel guilty about her life in captivity. I am a good owner but we can never really do these guys justice.

Unless you have experience working with the many problem parrots out there, you can't begin to imagine the abust and neglect that goes on.

Yes, babies are cute but birds do not make good pets for the average person. Please visit some sites like www.mytoos.com and Second Chance Birds. Join your local chapter of PEAC and educate yourself about what goes on on the flip side of the coin!

Source(s): Years of owning birds, experience at retail shops, current vet tech.

There is alot to learn about avain species before you even think of breeding. Medical problems, behavior's,avain diet and hand feeding,weighs,how to set up the pair for breeding and learning about the species you will breed.

With large species you need to know much about male agression issue's. Like the fact that many female/hens are killed by the male during breeding in the large Cockatoo species, but male agression can happen in other species also.

Many start breeding Budgies or Cockatiels first for several years.

Talk to good breeder's and ask question's before you go forward with the idea of breeding as well as read and learn online. here is a good site> http://www.birdnways.com/

Source(s): Thirty plus years living with and learning about captive avian species

Please don't... It is a very enjoyable thing to do, to deal with and handle these tiny creatures. But the truth out there is there are so many in need of good help... Why don't you open up a bird rescue... I'm sure there is much more gratification for you in the long run than to make a few thousand dollars and not know what the weirdo that just bought that bird is going to do with it...