Can't afford an attorney and don't qualify for a Court Appointed one?

We need some serious legal advice concerning custody issues - there seems to be no hope.

7 Answers

  • Ron L
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Here are some ideas. Call your local mediation center and have them contact your ex to try to mediate custody issues. Don't try to contact him yourself- have the mediation center contact him for you.

    This is cheaper and gets a better resolution than the courts. I know you can't work with your ex, but for the child's interests, it's better to get someone between you two to help you work together.

    Or, new legal concept called collaborative law. It is cheaper and faster than the court system. Each side gets a lawyer, but they decide to settle the case instead of taking it to court. Then, they all exchange info. and then meet and come up with an agreement. Half the time- half the expense.

    Or, hire an attorney for a consultation- not to take the case to court. An attorney can give you some advice on how to proceed. Just pay the consultation fee of $150 or whatever to talk to the lawyer for an hour.

    Or, do it pro bono. You can always represent yourself. You just have to do some research. Go on-line and get some info. Get a consult with an attorney. Go to your local clerk of court and ask them for someone who has done something similar and copy the file and you can do something similar, just change the names.

    Or, get an attorney just to do the paperwork for you which you sign and you handle court yourself. An attorney can act as a guide for you, but just helps you along- cheaper than hiring an attorney to represent you in court.

    Sometimes grandparents can come up with the money to help on custody cases since they know if their child gets custody, they will see their grandchildren more than if the other spouse does.

    That's six alternatives for you. There is hope. Best wishes to you.

    Source(s): NC and NY atty.
  • Amy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    part of your question depends on whether the other party has an attorney. You should also be able to ask your family court services to help you with what paperwork to fill out and how to do the work on your own. Or if there is a danger to your child, then you can ask for an attorney for the child. You might have to go to CPS for that though.

  • beez
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Contact the nearest Legal Aid office for an appointment.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Call law schools near you and ask if they have a pro bono project that will help you.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Contact a parenting group or see if someone will take it on scale / pro bono.

  • 1 decade ago

    There are volunteer attorneys-look them up online or a phonebook.

  • michr
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    you may want to ask a question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.