Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog ate half a box of Q-Tips! Should I take her to the vet???

I know it sounds absurd. Instinct tells me to take her. My only concern is I am dead broke right now and don't know how I will pay for anything. I just spent $1000 over the past month on her getting fixed and getting all her shots and boosters and special diet food, etc., etc. She is 7 months old, just over 30 pounds and still growing. She's gonna be a big girl. However, in my mind, any emergency surgery is going to cost well over $1000 at this point and I don't know what to do!!! I am home with her today from work to monitor her condition. Her energy level is normal. She seems alert. She is still eating and drinking. She is still going to the bathroom. She just went about half an hour ago and there was part of a q-tip in her stool. I am wondering if this is the beginning of their "release." My concern is the amount she ate causing a blockage of some kind. I was reading to give her vegetable oil to slicken things up...I don't know. Ideas?

know it sounds absurd. Instinct tells me to take her. My only concern is I am dead broke right now and don't know how I will pay for anything. I just spent $1000 over the past month on her getting fixed and getting all her shots and boosters and special diet food, etc., etc. She is 7 months old, just over 30 pounds and still growing. She's gonna be a big girl. However, in my mind, any emergency surgery is going to cost well over $1000 at this point and I don't know what to do!!! I am home with her today from work to monitor her condition. Her energy level is normal. She seems alert. She is still eating and drinking. She is still going to the bathroom. She just went about half an hour ago and there was part of a q-tip in her stool. I am wondering if this is the beginning of their "release." My concern is the amount she ate causing a blockage of some kind. I was reading to give her vegetable oil to slicken things up...I don't know. Ideas?

UPDATE: We're on our way to the vet!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Were the rods plasitc or paper? If they were plastic then I would probably be worried about an obstruction. If they were paper then I would montior your dog for any sign of problems for at least 24hrs. Its best to call your veternarian and ask for advice.

Dog Ate Q Tips

If the Q-tips are made totally from paper, no plastic stick, then normal digestion will do the trick. However, if plastic, there is a good chance that a rupture of the intestine could take place. You will know within 12 to 24 hours if you dog fails to pass solids. This can be extremely painful so you might not have to wait that long. I wish you well.

• DP

Well.. If it was me.. and it was a 1/2 box of q-tips.. I would take her to the vet. Here's why.. Have you ever accidently flushed a q-tip down the toilet?? I did.. Well, it went down, BUT everything that went down after it, got caught up on the 1 single q-tip. It blocked up the whole drain pipe.. I have to think that a dog would be a little similiar, and when you are talking 1/2 box.. Well if it blocked him up, there could be worse problems then calling the plumber, quite likely as expensive if you don't take care of it. I would at very least, call the vet and tell him and see what he says.

• .....

Well, if she is acting normal and you can see that the Q-Tips are passing, then she should be okay. However, you should keep your eye on her for the next few days to make sure she doesn't start getting dehydrated (a sign of blockage), acting lethargic, or straining to eliminate. If something like this occurs, she needs to see a vet. Giving her a little vegetable oil isn't a bad idea, it would be more likely to help than hinder, so I say go ahead with it. Chances are, she'll be fine!

Source(s): I had a cat who are a whole bunch of rubber bands once, and I took him to the vet, but the vet pretty much (in a nutshell) sent us on our way saying to keep an eye on his stool to make sure pieces were still passing and to watch for dehydration.

At least call your veterinarian and see what they think. Also, they may be able to provide you with ideas on how to pay for treatment if they think it's necessary. Does your vet offer CareCredit? Do you have another credit card you could use, or perhaps borrow from someone?

Were they the Q-tips with plastic sticks, or are they the paper kind? I'd be more concerned if they were plastic.

• Sheila

Wrap the cut up with a little gauze and a small piece of tape, so its easy to get off when it wants... also maybe put a little antibacterial on the cut so it doesnt get infected. and if your able to find its mom or its nest then put it back, but if you dont want to keep it, or cant find the nest, bring it to a vet or shelter they will look after it

I completely understand where you are coming from, a huge vet bill will come if you go. I would not leave her unattended and do what you are doing now. If ANYTHING changes and she isn't passing them then take her in. Just don't leave her alone.

there should be an animal insurance to help you. if not your vet can help you with a payment plan. q-tip absorbs body fliuds so its a danger to her. keep an eye on her and give your vet a call, they wont charge you for calling them. hell let you know what is ok to do. if she is important to you, and if it comes to surgery, i think you should do it for her sake.

please call your vet just to see what they say - it could be that you just need to wait for the dog to pass it, but if it's a concern you wouldn't want the dog to suffer. Good luck to you!!!!