My daughter in law swears her doctor told her she lost her muscus plug, but that she can regrow another one.?

She was 4 1 /2 months when this was told to her. That was almost a month ago now. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening.

Favorite Answer

I have heard that if it's early on in the pregnancy that it can regenerate itself. I don't have any truth to back this up though.

Losing your mucous plug is a little like dilation/effacement: They are signs that everybody loves to talk about and obsess over, but in the end they really don't mean anything. You can lose your mucous plug all at once, or in little pieces. You can regrow it, and lose it again, and you can lose it several times before you deliver. It just has nothing to do with when you will have your baby

your cervix is continually rebuilding the mucus plug to help protect against infection. women will call all the time and say how long does this last and the answer is delivery. your daughter in law is at great risk for premature labor and delivery though as she has started the process early it usually starts at 36weeks as your cervix starts to ripen in preparation for labor as your cervix softens and starts to open the loss of this mucus plug happens. though some women start to lose it at the start of labor it can occur as early as 36 weeks. so at 4 1/2 months to have your cervix starting to make change is concerning as it means contractions or other hormonal changes started to happen way to soon.

Source(s): OB nurse x 22 years

yes

i know a woman who lost her plug around 32 weeks, and again right around 39 wks.

it's actually constantly sloughing & regnerating, just usually at a gradual pace that isn't very noticable. but this is partly responsible for the increased discharge during pregnancy.

Yes, she early in her pregnancy. It happens. She needs to take it easy.

I have never heard of that.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has.