Do Atheists believe in fate?

I'm asking this out if curiousity so i'm not looking for low blows about anyone's beliefs...

I've heard that atheists do not believe in predetermined fate, so my question is, do you believe we determine our own fate? or you don't believe in fate at all?

The reason I ask is because when the VT massacre happened, I kept thinking... these kids went to school, a good school, so they can have a bright future, and BAM they get killed... or what if you live in a nice neighborhood, live a healthy lifestyle, then BAM a tree falls on you and kills you in a freak accident...

What's your beliefs on death? Is it just something that happens, do you believe you can prevent death? Just wanted to gain insight to some different atheists beliefs about fate and your views on how death works.

Favorite Answer

NO. I do not believe in fate.

Some might, though.

As far as death...no you cannot prevent it but there are things you can try to do to prolong the inevitable. Eating well, exercising, etc

But even if you do you know that is no guarantee.

I don't believe in fate. We control our own destiny to a certain degree, and outside factors control it to a certain degree (i.e., death, car accidents, being the victim of a crime, relationships with people, etc). But there is no predetermined future for any of us.

As far as death...I think precautions can be taken to prevent dying sooner than later (eating healthy, wearing a seatbelt, etc), but there is no divine safety net keeping your plane from crashing or keeping a drunk driver from crashing through your living room while you're watching TV.

Source(s): Atheist

That's a good question. Is it the same as asking why life isn't fair? Why bad things happen to good people?

Either life and death are pre-determined or they are not.

If they are pre-determined, then what's the point of anything really?

If they are not pre-determined, then free will and randomness are operative.

God can exist with either circumstance, so being atheistic doesn't really conflict with fate, in my opinion.

"Fate" has a certain connotation that includes "on purpose" and that is not true. Physics, however, has been incredibly consistent for the last several billion years and it can be reasonably inferred that we all will live lives in tune with physical laws, and that is a predestination.

No - I do not believe in fate. I do believe that a person, to a certain extent makes their own future.

But I would do - wouldn't I - I'm a life coach

Everything is a random event.

fate no? i do however believe in karma

Source(s): agnostic

fate no, kharma yes.