Anonymous

why is the jena 6 case so big?

in the billy ray johnson case the opposite happened. he was a slow blk man who was beaten by a group of white men. now he has to live in an institution because they permanently injured his brain further. he can barely walk or control his muscles. the beaters only spent 2 months in prison, although the jury recommended that they spend no time in jail. it had all the fixings of a hate crime. including the fact that while they beat him they called him "dumb ngger" and stupid crazy ngger"

yet they got off pretty well. it took a white civil rights lawyer to sue those white men...but johnson can't even enjoy the money because now he's mentally screwed up. he's a pretty young guy too...the money is supposed to pay for his living expenses and medical bills. the verdict was 9 million, but i am pretty sure that those white men don't have 9 million bucks because one was still living with his mom, and the other worked at a barbecue shack. but why didn't this get as much coverage as jena 6

Update:

they stumped him out. i'm sure a ko wouldn't make a guy muscularly challenged

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Jena 6" (note the catchy title--like a movie) gets so much attention because:

the prominent, glaring symbolism--fetishistic for some: nooses, big oak tree;

the many individuals involved, as well as family, community, regional portraiture and drama (resonates with the vast majority of the public, in one way or another);

the dramatic buildup and other narrative components that contribute to an easy adaption of the events into "southern gothic" movies and other dramatic recreations;

the introduction of celebrity leaders and politicians;

a lot of "what would YOU do" kind of stuff, with plot twists and turns, that the public may speculate upon ad infinitum (audience participation)

• 1 decade ago

I don't know, but I do know that the story has become very exagerated. All of the kids were wrong, the white children did some embarrassing things to the black children. That being said the black children went too far. Kids fight, but for a group of children to "jump" on other kids because they don't like ehat's going on IS wrong, even if they are black. Just like it was wrong for the white children to do and say racist things. We ALL deal with racial discrimination and hate, not just the black race. We simply cannot go around hanging noose3s from trees and beating the crap out of each other. They should all be ashamed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow. People are STILL justifying the actions of these White kids. Sad...

While the black students from jena are waiting to serve at least one year in prison --each-- these guys get only two months.

This country and its curse.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because black people made jena bigger and more serious than it really was. just as simple as that.

btw......just like you people make this story out to be bigger than it really was. there was NO beating, darling! one guy punched billy ray's face which resulted in a KO.

"they stumped him out. i'm sure a ko wouldn't make a guy muscularly challenged"

why are you playing guessing games? THEY DIDN'T "STUMP HIM OUT!" for crying out loud get your facts straight.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's just the way circuses are; sometimes they get the big top, sometimes they get the barn.

• 1 decade ago

Unfortunately you and I know the answer to this question.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I dont know why, it should have.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.