Ashley asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

The right breed of snake?

I would like to get a snake sometime in the future, I think they are really interesting animals and would love to have one as a pet.

First, are there any breeds that don't eat mice... im not against it, but i could never do that. Are there any breeds that eat cricketts or something else that doesnt have fur?

Second, i really like red/orange ones, are there many breeds that come like that, i know of the corn snake, but that is all...

& Last, are they hard to care for, i have never had one and i dont want to get one unprepared

anything will really help me about snakes

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Rough green tree snakes eat crickets...but as the name suggests they're green.

Ribbon and garder snakes can eat goldfish, but they're black and yellow.

I HIGHLY suggest corn snakes as both rough greens and ribbon/garder snakes are easy to kill if not cared for correctly. Corn snakes are EXTRMEMLY easy to care for, and are almost never mean. The do eat mice though, which is not a big deal if you buy the mice pre frozen. I've kept snakes for 8 years. I've had 2 ball pythons 5 corn snakes, 3 ribbons snakes, and a pueblan milk snake.

E-mail me any questions you might have:

Mrhahn530@yahoo.com

Source(s): A good corn to get would be a reverse okatee. I had an albino reverse okatee and it was a beautiful orange and red...

There are not to many breeds that dont eat mice, I would go for a corn snake as a first snake, and they are red/orange as you would like, they are easy to care for and most of the time will eat frozen mice so you dont have to bring home live mice for them, most pet stores that sell snakes will also sell frozen mice and the majority of captive bred snakes are already on frozen.

I would not recommend buying a small baby as they need extra attention and can stress out and go downhill fast, find one that is a little older and a proven eater.

You will need at least a 20 gallon tank, good size water dish, secure lid, hiding spot and an undertank heat pad, and I have been using "care fresh" small animal bedding, I love it as it does not dry out the snakes, absorbs odors, and comes in a variety of colours.

Have fun, do your research.

Your best bet- far and away- is a corn snake. Yes they eat mice, but you will quickly become accustomed to it. It's no big deal.

There are species that eat insects, but they are not suitable for beginners. Get a corn snake.

Read some books on basic snake care, do not rely on yahoo answers for valid information.

BTW snakes are distinguished by "species" not "breeds".

A lot of people are a little squeamish about killing things. I know I was. I used to HATE when my boyfriend fed our first snake, Isis, live mice. One time, it didn't die, but was fatally injured and I actually cried over the little thing! That's when we switched to frozen. Haven't had a problem since. Someone else has to kill them, not me. I just thaw and feed. I like it much better that way. It's the same as me eating a big juicy steak. Given, we have fed ours live since, but it just seems less difficult now that I'm used to it.

I recommend (lol... as I always recommend) a kingsnake. They come in a ton of different color combinations (try the arizona mountain kingsnake, banded cali king, albino cali king...etc), are easy to care for, and extremely docile.

Just make sure you do your research (other than here on yahoo answers) before you bring one home.

Good luck!

Source(s): I have three beautiful kingsnakes.

Garter snake, and or green snake, they both eat insects, also the garter snake eats small fish. Green snakes are very hard to keep in captivity. Not many people are successful. For your colors, well corn snake have the colors you like however, they do eat mice.