what causes hot spots on dogs and what is the best treatment?

Favorite Answer

Hot spots are caused either by a food allergy, or any kind of allergy. My dog has them, and my vet tells me I should see an alllergist for the dog - well, that costs about a million dollars, so what I do is I visit with my regular vet, he gives Rocco a shot - an antihystimine to stop the itching - then gives me some pills. One for the itching, and one for the sores to heal without getting infected. If he's really bad, give him some children's benedryl. like 1/2 a pill or something. It should stop the itching. for the time being. My dog usually gets this in the summer though, not so much in the winter.

Hope that helps! Good luck.....

I'm not sure what exactly causes it, but it's when your dog has been compulsively licking and/or chewing a specific area. You need to apply neosporin to the area and make sure your dog leaves it alone- meaning, you may have to go a purchase a cone for its head, haha. Anyways, if this doesn't help, you need to take your dog to the vet which may require an antiobiotic.

It does require an antibiotic. It is caused by fleas. So take your pet to the vet asap. Also adding a small amount of ish oil to the food will help ease the discomfort in the skin.