is university of michigan a good school for undergrad in neuroscience?

i want to go to U of M but i dont have the money. aslo many ppl have told me that i shouldnt go there for undergrad. is this true? also, what should i study for bachelors degree n wht are good schools to go to?

PLZ HELP!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, U of Michigan is an outstanding university overall, in terms of resources, reputation, prestige, etc. However, it is a really huge university (which can be overwhelming), and you are not going to get a lot of handholding there....if you want to get something, you will have to take the initiative and find it - such as guidance, resources, internships, etc.

Perhaps you need to ask yourself if you are able to thrive in such an environment (large Big 12 university campus), or would you be happier at a smaller school environment?

Now if you really want to go to UM and are lacking the cash, ask about scholarships, stipends, work-study programs. You could also go to a community college for a year or two then transfer to Michigan, which would save you some money. I'd also seek out alums of Michigan who can advise you about the school and what's available. Visit the campus and contact the department you're interested.

Good luck!

• xo379
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

U Mich is a REALLY great school--for neuroscience; for everything, really. If you don't have the money, you can apply for financial aid or scholarships. Also, it will cost less if you go to a state university (in the state you live in.)

Other great schools for neuroscience on the same level as U Mich: Amherst College (they offer a lot of financial aid, by the way); Johns Hopkins; NYU; UCLA; U Illinois--Chicago.

Here's a full list of colleges with a neuroscience major: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/majors/br...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.