Where did the concept that "all sins are equal" come from? Do you really believe that pre-marital sex is ?

equal to rape and murder? That is absolutely asinine in my opinion. Can anyone explain this belief?

It's no small wonder that science is being held back at every turn with so many people actually believing this archaic nonsense.

Favorite Answer

I have no idea where the "all sins are equal" concept came from, except from some imperfect human like you and me. BTW, "sin" comes from a word which means to "miss the mark" (like an arrow missing the bulls eye). I do not agree that premarital sex involving two committed and consenting adult partners, done responsibly and with love, is any kind of sin. What I view as sin ( except I seldom think to use that word) are actions made in effort to hurt, control, or neglect, or destroy. I would also ( in a sense) consider certain addictions as sins. They can harm ourselves and others, and frequently allow us to fall short of whatever potential we were born with. In my opinion addictions ( i.e. distractions) stand between us and the Source we sprang from. Once addicted, the thing or substance becomes our god, to be pursued at all costs, often including killing ourselves and others. That said, I do not hold what is truly done out of the love in ones heart ( and not for power) to be sinful. The joining of truly loving hearts, minds, and bodies can be a marvelous, spiritual thing. For ages the poets have sung its praises, and why not?

I don't believe that all sins are equal. I think when we are living our lives it is very dangerous to justify seemingly minor things by saying, it is just a little lie- at least I did not doctor the books at Enron or anything. That kind of thinking can lead you down the wrong road. Little things lead to big things. Yes Premarital sex is a big sin- is it as bad of a sin as Rape- not by any means. Is it still wrong? Definitely. Should it be punished the same way rape is? Not by a long shot. One is consentual one is not. The one that is not is in a different ball game. I don't know how to explain it, but I do know that each sin has different consequences. I also think that each sin has different consequenses from the Lord depending on the understanding of the person involved. A young child should not be held to the same standard as an adult because, their understanding is different, but the same things that are wrong for an adult are wrong for a child. Likewise a believer will be held to a higher standard than the non-believer, because the believer had the knowledge and turned his back on it, where the non-believer did not have that same knowledge. It really is complicated. Just don't sin and you will be ok.

I don't know if I make any sense or not- but there it is. It always sounds better in my head.

I am not familiar with the concept that "all sins are equal"

I will tell you that the Bible teaches that it only takes one sin to make you guilty as a sinner in need of forgiveness and salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. And it doesn't matter what sin it is.

In James 2:10-11 it states "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, 'You shall not commit adultery', also said, 'You shall not murder', If you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a law breaker.

Frankly, our opinions don't mean anything. Whether this seems fair or not is irrelevant. If God is real and the Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us and His plan for us then it only matters that we understand God's view on sin.

The scripture I referred to in the book of James does not teach that all sins are equal. What it teaches is that if you break one of God's laws then you are by definition a law breaker. Law breaker = sinner

It's a hard pill to swallow... I know!

Regarding your comment on premarital sex. Sex outside of the marriage relationship between 1 man and 1 woman is called fornication. Fornication is forbidden by God so that would make it a sin. So it makes no difference if I think it is a sin or not. Certainly, it's not as bad as murder, but, it certainly is against God's law.

In regards to both eternal consequences and salvation, all sins are the same. Each and every sin will lead to eternal condemnation (Romans 6:23). All sin, no matter how “small,” is against an infinite and eternal God, and is therefore worthy of an infinite and eternal penalty. Further, there is no sin too “big” that God cannot forgive it. Jesus died to pay the penalty for sin (1 John 2:2). Jesus died for ALL of our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Source(s): Recommended Resource: Basic Theology by Charles Ryrie

You're looking at sin from man's point of view. If I were to do the same I would have to agree with you. But God compares man to himself and sees that not one of us is worthy. As the bible puts it, we all fall short of God's standard.

But when we accept His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, all sins are forgiven, the big ones and the little ones. There are likely murderers and rapists in heaven as well as those who had pre-marital sex, because they realized there was nothing they could do to atone for their own sins, but God can do anything.

So when you look at it from God's perspective, it is good that He treats all sins equally, for His grace and justice are applied equally.

• Barney

It's a good thing for ALL living souls that your opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the views of God.

No one can answer this for you because you do not look at it in a spiritual sense. You have no eyes to see with, nor ears to hear with. Seek with an earnest attempt to understand and it will be reveled to you.

I hope nobody believes premarital sex is equal to rape and murder, otherwise a lot of Christians are experiencing a tremendous amount of guilt for their sex, since the overwhelming majority have sex before marriage.

• RT 66

God will judge. But Jesus tells us that even to think about bringing harm to another is no better than the actual murder. Since God is the judge, and since He dictated the rules, and since He created the institution of marriage, then it would go without saying that pre-martial sex is sin...adultery if you already have a spouse you are considering leaving for some fool you are cheating with/fornication if you are engaging in sex without the sanction of marriage.

It is hard to wrap your mind around it because you are looking at it from a human point of view. Our laws are set up to say that some things are worse than others.

However, any sin will separate you from God. The original sin way back when with Lucifer was the sin of pride. When you put that in perspective from our stand point pride isn't that big of a deal compared to murder.

To God sin is sin. Doesn't matter what it is. One sin no matter how big or small we think it is will separate us from God.

That is not what the Bible says....Jesus said, in John 19:11, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."