Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

I cleaned out my 17 month old sons ear and he started screaming.?

I didn't stick the q-tip that far in. I am taking him to the doctor in 4 hours but I am scared. any advice?

Yeah, I didn't mean to hurt him. He was fine til I cleaned out his ear. I don't know any other way to clean his ears.

Favorite Answer

Mistakes happen. The doctor will treat his ear. In the future have his ears cleaned by a nurse not with a Q-tip. Q-tips just push the wax deeper into the ear canal. Best of luck!

He might have an ear infection or might not. My little girl has had several ear infections and has tubes. Even though her ears are better now, she still hates and cries when I clean her ears out. Some kids are just sensitive to their ears. Good Luck.

I am sure you didn't hurt him, as long as when you use the q-tip you don't put it in his ear drum or inside his ear.

The same thing happened to my son. Turned out he had an ear infection even though he had absolutely no other symptoms. I didn't even put the q tip in his ear. I was using one of the safety ones that are cone shaped so you can't stick the whole thing in.

You shouldn't use q-tips. They break off the cilia that will naturally push the wax out.

Just use a washcloth on your finger to clean the outside of the ear-- nothing should go in.

Try to relax & stay calm, it is prob. an ear infection. Hang in there, I know it is hard to see your babies in pain or ill. He will be ok, the dr will help you out.

might just be an ear infection. his ears may be really inflamed.

the doc will tell you, KEEP THE Q-TIPS OUT OF THE EAR!