Tantra and karma...I'm reading Tantra: The Supreme Understanding by Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (1975). He seems

to indicate that it is egoistic (according to Tantra) to assume responsibility (as in karma) for acts committed in ignorance, saying that the consequences of our actions could never end since we constantly create new karmic debts while absolving old debts. Since the acts came out of our "drunk and blind ignorance," or darkness. Tantra, he claims, says that all that is necessary is "awareness" (light) or awakening from our "coma." Can anyone seriously enlighten me further regarding this approach? Is it true of Tantra? Thank you...

Alan C. ... Thanks for your kind warning regarding "Osho" and his character. I don't need to check Wikipedia since I not only have read several books about him (some neutral, most vilifying him), including many of his own publications. Too, I lived east of Portland, Oregon when the Big Muddy Ranch scandal was occurring with Ma Anand Sheila steering the downhill course. Read all of the local news reports regarding the hijinx, the food poisonings, the legal problems, the "voting" scandals from pulling street people into the Ranch community to tip the political scales in the nearby town, etc. I was hoping that the date of the book I'm reading would mitigate his later reputation. I find many of his earlier works quite interesting. My question has nothing to do with "Osho." I am curious as to what the YA community knows about Tantra and karma, since I already know more than enough about Bhagwan. But thank you for your "heads up."

Ross...thank you so much. I think I misled regarding Bhagwan's stance. He's saying that Tantra does not support karma or debt paying at all; rather, we need only "awaken" to the light from the darkness of our ignorance. I appreciate your comments very much.

Janjou...you are too kind and certainly forbearing. Merci

Favorite Answer

Also please read the book by Sir John Woodroff 'The Serpent Power' and 'Shakti and Shakta' with out which study on Tantra would remain incomplete.

Quit reading Rajneesh. Try Vivekananda and others. Also if you can get your hands on a copy of The Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna, read the little section on tantra. I think people like Rajneesh and Sai Baba confuse the issue. What you are describing is getting off the karmic wheel. The analogy is like a cave that has been dark for eons, but all it takes is one torch to scare away the darkness. To me the heart of tantra is allowing the divine into our everyday life, not running from the world.

I would be very careful about taking anything he said too seriously as his life and movement have always been surrounded by scandal. The wiki article on him, which is largely favorable, mentions many of these. For example:

'Osho [Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh] said that he was "the rich man's guru",[60] and that material poverty was not a spiritual value.[61] He was photographed wearing sumptuous clothing and hand-made watches.[56] He drove a different Rolls-Royce each day – his followers reportedly wanted to buy him 365 of them, one for each day of the year.[62] Publicity shots of the Rolls-Royces (more than 90 in the end) appeared in the press.[11]'

Have you read any Alan Watts?

• neil s

1) Rajneesh was a cult leader no better than Jones, Koresh or Hubbard.

2) All activity is karma. In fact, "activity" ia all karma means.The problem is thinking there is a self, or thinking that all ends of an action can be seen to judge it good or bad in any ultimate sense. The question is whether or not an action is suited to liberation.

• Lyra

Sirius, I have answered this one in full on one, and a bit more is added on another, of your other 2 copies of this question.....cheers.

maybe somebody at Kripalu knows something about that.

i don't

Source(s): opinion