Have had a car given to my son by my stepfather?

My stepfather gave my son his car as his last wishes. It's not in the will, but my aunt, who is the executor of the estate, told me that it was written in a list of who got what from his house. She has the title and all the registration papers, but my question is how do we handle transfer of title to my son, and does it HAVE to be him (he's only 16). We want the title in our names. Should this be a transaction of a $1 from her as executor to us?

Favorite Answer

here in California family members can "give " cars to other family members and only pay a $16 transfer fee..you should ask your dmv if you can do that

Yes, it has to be him - it doesn't matter that he's 16.

The executor of the estate has to sign the title, and attach a copy of the executor agreement. It's not a $1 sale, it's an inheritance.

If the executor transfers it to you & your husband, well, she can be put in jail. That's NOT what she's supposed to do.

**keep in mind, just because the car is TITLED to him, does NOT mean it has to be registered! You can park it for a year, start it up every Sunday, until he has a job and can pay for his own car insurance.**

Source(s): agent, 21+ years
  • Otto

The executor has the power to do as you ask. He is not legally old enough to "own" a vehicle. Have it put in your name until he turns 18 and then he can own it. You can put any value on it you wish. The DMV would not have the answer to this as it is a legal matter dealing with inheritance's.

That is a difficult question. In Missouri the DMV says they do not discriminate when it comes to age on title. I had a car titled in my name when I was sixteen. But insurance will be much higher since it is the sixteen year olds car, plus liability falls back onto the parent. I would almost recommend when titling the car to put a parents name first and put the 16 year old second on the title: John & Jamie Smith. Talk to your insurance agent first, they may be able to give you state specific advice which could help save money on insuring the vehicle! GOOD LUCK!

• ?

i think of nicole is sturdy. yet in addition, i think of that consistent with possibility 17 years previous isnt mature adequate to possess a camero or SUV. What you like is an financial gadget vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine and not adequate space to have intercourse in.

ITS BEST IF YOU CONTACT YOUR LOCAL (DMV) DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES OFFICE, THEY WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER ANY AND ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS AND AT THE SAME TIME YOU WILL BE GETTING THE CORRECT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

Source(s): 923