How long does it take for an auto shop to change a muffler?

I have a lifetime guarantee on my muffler and it fell off. According the the guarantee, I only have to pay for labor.

So assuming I can get my car right on the lift, how long should it take to change the muffler?

I'm just curious to see if they'll try and rip me off.

Omgah, I just took it in, they quoted me $128!!! WTF?

I'm taking it somewhere else. Thats ridiculous by what you all are telling me.

Favorite Answer

Most shops will have a flat rate for this type of service. Most likely more time that the job will actually take.

• Me

It'll usually take about a 1/2 hour of actual work, although it depends on the vehicle and how difficult it is to get at the remains of the old one and remove it. It can also take longer if the pipe where it was attached has been bent or otherwise damaged when the muffler fell off. However, generally it's a fast enough job that it's worth waiting for it instead of picking it up later.

Good luck!

Source(s): Been there, done that...

Depends on the type of car. Most shops charge by the job, called a RATE job. So if it takes 45 mins. you might pay for 1.5 hrs. If it takes 2 hrs you may still only pay 1.5 hrs.

How long has the muffler been on the car? If it is under a certain time than the whole job could be free due to error on the installation.

My guess is there's nothing wrong with the muffler. The pipe going into or coming out of the muffler (not the ones that's part of the muffler) is the one that rusted and broke. THAT'S what you'll have to pay for. (Plus labor) A good muffler shop can fix this pretty quick but you'll have to wait your turn. It's usually first come, first served.

on average abotu 20 minutes or less but you gonna pay for at least a hours worked but your muffler wouldnt fall off unless somethign was wrong with the pipe it was connected to or the hangers were bad in any case 128 may be fair they may see some damage that we dont know about all shops arent lookin to get over on customers

Not to sound rude, but it really depends on the model of car you drive and who's doing the work. Normally, it's a waiting type installation. Personally suggest that you call a few muffler shops and get some ideas to satisfy your questions. Good Luck and God Bless....

Catalyst converter is area of the emission administration, no longer area of engine administration. basically imagine autos twenty some years in the past were no longer equipped with cats, they nonetheless ran round. i do no longer understand why your mechanic tried to scare you want that: your automobile had to be towed to a broking service, have it repaired and "reset"in basic terms at a frontrunner, or it would not commence. The code should be "P0420 Catalyst device performance lower than Threshold". this is a accepted code, no longer Toyota certain. so so you might use any OBD II reader/scanner to sparkling the code, or ask Autozone pleasant adult men to sparkling the code for you. With the examine engine user-friendly ON or OFF, you do not experience any enormous difference even as utilizing. yet with user-friendly on, you may not bypass the emission. The cat failed at your automobile's mileage isn't very uncommon, as a tech operating at a Toyota broking service, i have considered many autos with decrease or a lot decrease mileage than yours having cats failed. yet when this is the first time the code appeared, basically sparkling the code, and proceed to force it as commonly used. The code will re-seem once you force it for some miles (perchance some hundred miles), if the cat somewhat has failed. Or the code may even no longer re-seem. Why the broking service's fee is so extreme? They use OEM parts. The cat is area of a lengthy exaust pipe, this is about $a million,000, and 2 gaskets at each and each connection also needs to get replaced, that are about $one hundred. even as loosening the nuts, in case you stay in north with ice and snow in iciness, this is especially probable one or better bolts will damage and effect in hours of drilling and retapping. hence, there's some hundred money frustrating paintings fee. you may get it replaced with an after-marketplace cat at a muffler save. they could decrease the cat off and weld the recent on in position. yet you should get assure as long as available. we've heard memories about after-marketplace cats: some very last lengthy time period without difficulty, and some failed in a jiffy. My advice immediately is: sparkling the code and force it as commonly used because that this is first time the code has appeared. this is likewise our save's commonly used practice. If the code comes lower back, then you honestly want to fret about upkeep. i'm hoping this can be of a touch help, and sturdy success.

• mr. y

only about 25 min,especially with a lift.ive done many types of muffler on many different types of cars,trucks.even if the torches had to be taken out.but they will soak you at least an hours worth of labor which is usually what most charge.price for hourly rate depends on garage/dealer.if i were to change it i would charge about 40 dollars.

Source(s): lifetime mechanic.

half an hour... unless you want to do the whole exhaust system, that will take some time.

A couple hours!